Featured Antique Japanese or Korean bowl?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Xander Chia, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Xander Chia

Xander Chia New Member

Hi,
    I recently won an auction for what was described as a “goryeo celadon”. Or at least that’s what google translate says it says, as the original title was in Japanese. My concern is whether it is really an antique and if it really is from Korea and not just a Korean style Japanese bowl.
    Thanks for helping!

918070DE-8603-4C4B-AABA-E895071984B6.jpeg 84CD3439-B591-4675-85F0-8FF630665F18.jpeg E5C3A2C4-4B07-46B9-AE29-B880F7A285DF.jpeg 2D05D8F0-8BA2-43DC-8B82-FB0251AB8C6E.jpeg ECC7CCE4-09FD-49F9-8C18-1D26665A33EF.jpeg

judy, Figtree3, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I hope we have someone familiar with this. Your photos are both clear and informative.

judy, Xander Chia, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

judy, Xander Chia, Jaena and 5 others like this.
  4. Silverthorne

Silverthorne Well-Known Member

"Sawankhalak"

"I only have eyes for you...Sawankhalak."

(Shall we just say that AJ's ENORMOUS expertise inspires me down learned paths and arcane influences. Ahem. I just KNOW she lives in a museum!)

judy and Pat Dennis like this.
  5. Silverthorne

Silverthorne Well-Known Member

A good-sized one, too!

judy, Pat Dennis and Xander Chia like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It does look as if it is several centuries old (not made to look old).

judy and Xander Chia like this.
  7. Xander Chia

Xander Chia New Member

Thanks for all the replies! Well it looks like I got burned as I suspected. I think I’ll stick to contemporary wares when it comes to bidding on Yahoo! Auctions from now on. How much is a Sawankhalak bowl in such a condition generally worth? I’m afraid I overbid for it as I’m still new to this.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is always best to bid on items you know something about. If you like Goryeo celadon, I suggest you study it first.

I think it is a very nice bowl, and I would give it a place in my home*, but the value is bound to be lower than Goryeo period pieces. For prices of comparative items you can search the usual selling platforms and auction houses.

* No, I won't buy it.;)

Xander Chia and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted