Antique Islamic Dagger animal tusk handle

Discussion in 'Tools' started by billyd3us, May 17, 2017.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

This was my dad's dagger, he has had it for I think about 15 years or so,can't be 100% sure though. We would like to know who when where made it, see the handle looks like some type of bone, tusk or animal hoof.
    Anybody know anything about this dagger ?

Thank You

Billy D. 022.JPG 024.JPG 026.JPG 027.JPG

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Could we see the entire dagger?
    By Islamic do you mean it is from the Middle East, North Africa, somewhere else?

3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Looks like a cows horn.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ya, it's someones horn....and by the look of the pommel it's meant for show only...as you'd cut up your hand trying to use it in any fashion...
    the pommel has a european cutlery look......but without seeing the blade or the guard face on......i'll reserve my opinion as to where it was made.

5. billyd3us

here's the whole thing 035.JPG

6. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Looks like horn to me also, and possibly from whatever animal passes as a cow in the area it comes from - that isn't always what people in the US or UK would call a cow. There appears to be some damage from insects, and there are bugs that are fond of chewing on horn.
    The shape of the handle is similar to table cutlery made in Lebanon, and I'd be comfortable guessing it was made somewhere in the Middle East.
    The shape is not that of any traditional Middle Eastern knives that I am familiar with, so very possibly just for souvenir/tourist sale, or possibly for table use as a carving knife, if sharp enough.

judy likes this.
  7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

My wife and I went to get the pooch some food at a pet store last weekend and in the bins were actual pieces of cow horns and hooves for the dogs to chew on, we ended up buying dried pig ears I cut into strips and the pooch loves them. I had a big dog many moons ago that got off-leash and took off. Thinking I'd never see her again I was surprised to see her the next morning at the door and had a set of deer antlers. I'm thinking somebodey was drying them out for mounting and "Mandie" stole them and brought them home - I still have the antlers in memory of her.

judy and LIbraryLady like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the blade looks well formed enough to be a hunting knife...but that clip point doesn't speak to me of a carving knife....:happy:

Tourist seems most likely...

judy and all_fakes like this.
  9. billyd3us

Yeah, I used to go to pet stores too when I had my Rottweiler/German Sheppard. Though cow horns I have seen items from Mexico, not saying your wrong, you could be right. God bless Mandie....

judy and Rayo56 like this.
  10. billyd3us

Tourist really, from where etc.

11. Any Jewelry

Yes, tourist, most likely from India.
    So it could have been made by a Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, Jew, etc. Just not by a Jain.

judy likes this.
  12. billyd3us

okay Thanks, who's jain ?

13. Any Jewelry

A Jain is a follower of Jainism or Jain Dharma, an absolutely non-violent Indian (India) religion. Strict Jains even carry soft brushes to brush away insects so they don't tread on them.

judy likes this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Amen to that! When I lived in Manhattan I had a fellow and his wife living above me in hospital housing. Every week I had to clean out all my kitchen cabinets to get rid of dead and dying roaches, the building had an exterminator come every week. When the couple moved, the super had to remove FIVE black 30 gallon trash bags of roaches!!!! The couple were Jains. There were even roaches in the light fixture globes. They were piled up in the corners 12" deep. It was like a nightmare film. The couple were very clean and polite BUT!!!!!!!!!
    greg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. billyd3us

oh dang, that messed my brain up..

16. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Crazy - I rescue all insects from my house as my wife wan'ts to smash and kill everything - I think God may give me some points when I will eventually face him and then tell him my wife really didn't want to kill his creations, she was just getting me to get rid of them so she didn't have to get off the couch and stop knitting!!

17. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Agree on tourist item. It was handmade by a very small shop using basic tools, in the Philippines or some other 3rd world country where water buffalo or similar horn is readily available.

judy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  18. billyd3us

Okay, Thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted