Antique hutch, friend has it on Craigslist, no takers

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lucille.b, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

A friend is trying to sell a family piece on Craigslist and he emailed me to see if I could give him some pointers for his ad since no one has contacted him yet. It is an antique hutch, it was his grandmothers and they are dating it to the 1920's. My first thought was that he was asking too much, as pieces from this era seem to be selling for less than they once were. (He's asking $850). As a side note, I think his family was somewhat well off, so it might have been an expensive piece at one time. Is there anything special about this hutch that one might include in an advertisement? This person is not an antique collector in any sense, this was just a family piece. I just pulled the photos off of Craigslist. All thoughts appreciated -- date/style/value, etc.

hutch1.jpg hutch2.jpg hutch3.jpg hutch4.jpg hutch5.jpg

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'd call it a display cabinet or vitrine. A hutch is for rabbits, in my book.

It does seem well overpriced for a 20th. C. piece that has sacrificed useful drawers in the lower part (the traditional design) for some stylish legs. But I know nothing about the US market.

daveydempsey likes this.
  3. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

I agree with afantiques - I'd call it a glass display case or china cabinet - Hutch to me means closed front. The person who will pay $850 for this is the person who has something worth more than $850 (to them anyway:rolleyes:) to put in it.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Maybe it's just me but could it be two pieces that don't actually go together? The proportions look very odd to my eye. Around here the local auction house has all but given up expecting much (or anything) for most antique-ish furniture. It's just not selling.

5. Lucille.b

Thank you AF, Elarnia and SIS.

Will suggest adding "glass display, china cabinet or vitrine" to the ad.

I might find myself being the bearer of bad news to my friend. Bottom line, I don't think this type of thing is selling very well here. People want lighter looks, Danish, Swedish, repainted -- but this older heavy brown, even if quite nice quality, is not selling. I do not see it at any of the consignment stores, even.

And SIS, I am going to ask if the two pieces come apart. All of this was based on an email last night, so haven't actually seen the piece in person. With just a tiny bit of googling images, the form seemed unusual and wondered if that was more desirable for some reason (...but could that be because it is a marriage?)

Not sure if these two pieces are detached but will find out. Do china cabinets normally come apart?

6. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Gotta say, at first glance my immediate impression was Uh oh, marriage.
    Second glance too.

7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

First of all, if it is being advertised as an antique, and it was made in the 20's -- it isn't. Secondly, it IS a very odd combination. If it's a marriage, it is almost of the "opposites attract" ilk. Also, it gives the appearance of being somewhat topheavy -- the kind of thing that causes mothers to constantly caution the children about bumping. And finally, if someone pays that amount of money, make sure you get the buyers name and address!!

I don't frightfully dislike the thing, it's just a tad odd. :)

8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

'Thing on thing' furniture usually comes apart in the middle for easier transport.

I am inclined to think it was made like that.

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Even really nice display cabinets are a hard sell around here. I had a solid mahogany Queen Anne circa 1910 with brass feet and beveled glass, original lock and key, The inside was pristine velvet. Could not get 50 bucks for it. A week later sold for 35.:bigtears:
    greg

10. Lucille.b

$35? Oh no, that's what I was afraid of. It isn't my piece, but I hate being the messenger of bad news. This cabinet belongs to a doctor and his wife, honestly nice people who supply me with many of my shipping boxes-- they do a lot of online shopping due to time constraints and kindly drop empty boxes at my door twice a month. They knew I sold antiques/collectibles so figured I might want to help them sell this.

Would I be correct in telling them that years ago this might have sold for $850, but that the market has completely dropped and they might be lucky to get $100-200? I think we are in a slightly better location for selling this period furniture -it doesn't come up as much, but maybe I'm even wrong about it even being in the $100-200 range.

Maybe I should suggest they donate it and take a tax write off.

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is unusual and seems to be quite nice for the period. It is walnut and the 20s or just a bit later is right. I do think it is way overpriced for today's market. I would probably price this about $350.00 high retail and take any reasonable offer. I don't know about CL where you are but here it is mostly a lost cause. Customers for antiques there seem to be the lowest of the bottom feeders.

12. 42Skeezix

Geez Greg, next time you have a sale let me KNOW!!!
    I've always lamented your story of selling three or four (?) (complete?) Millville Atmospheric fruit jars for.....a very very...fair price at a yard sale. Judging by the description alone I'd of shot you the 50 in a flash for the cabinet.

Seriously about that jar story. Just the other day it ran through my mind when I spotted a better than average jar that was, unfortunately, severly damaged.

13. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

You might also suggest that they take some more pictures - move it out from the wall, light it properly, put some items in it for display, etc. It looks like it's cowering abandoned in the corner.

14. 42Skeezix

BTW I need a Millville clamp and/or lid for a jar collector friend if you might have a set still hanging around. He also needs a "Crowleytown" lid but they're extremely rare. Thing is they are most likely to turn up around your area. You know the typical mason jar zinc lid with the porcelain/glass liner? Well the Crowleytown lid is the predecessor and the first efficient cheap use of the screw cap. The lid looks more or less like the regularly seen mason jar lid with a liner, but they are unlined, have straighter sides, and they almost always have a small metal lug on the top to accommodate an opening wrench. These lids in reasonable condition are worth hundreds.;) Very rare examples are found in brass. Bidding starts at a thousand.;);).

"Crowleytown" refers to the Crowleytown glassworks in South Jersey, where the first Mason jars were originally blown.

Whoa there. Sorry about the wildly OT post.

Ummmmm The OT's piece would make a great display for a small collection of top shelf antique fruit jars:).

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  15. 42Skeezix

Thing on thing furniture...LOL:D

16. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

Afantiques comes from the home of the "society for putting things on top of other things" as featured in a classic Monty Python skit.

Now my Mother was a charter member of the society for putting big things on top of smaller things, which is why so much of what I have has chips in it. :(

17. Lucille.b

All good, I appreciate the responses, and find the clamp/lid question even more interesting! And "thing on thing" --lol!

Back to the piece for a moment, I like the suggestion for the seller to add a few more photos, maybe away from the wall w/better lighting, and even putting an item or two in there. I also had the idea that he could put something in the text about where this came from -- just play up the provenance a bit. (And drop the $, of course.) Hopefully someone will buy it.

P.S. Skeez, If I find a Crowleytown lid, I'll let you know!

18. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Don,
    I'll look around for the lids. Three weeks ago I almost stroked out. Saturday morning going down the street on the way to a family function late, four people in the car very impatient. Espied a table full of fruit jars and bottles jammed together. Wanted to stop but no way with the crew I had to haul. Great I thought, I will go Sunday morning. Got there no table of jars and bottles. Asked if someone bought them all? Nope his daughter took them Saturday late afternoon to the recycling dump. I keep telling myself they were just common aqua jars. First ones that I had seen around here in six years. The "antique" stores have them but 10 15 bucks for Ball jars is rediculous.
    greg

19. 42Skeezix

Please do.

This is a Crowleytown jar with a two lug lid.

[​IMG]

This is a lid and clamp for a Millville Atmospheric fruit jar.

[​IMG]

Tell ya what though Greg. I sell EVERY ol' blue Ball perfect, ideal, or whatever, that I get for 7-10 bucks usually pretty quickly. Last year I sold over a hundred of 'em. Got lucky finding a couple of hoards of 'em cheap.

Draft saved Draft deleted