Antique heavy lace fringe for tablecloth

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Elizabeth Baird, Dec 15, 2023.

1. Elizabeth Baird

Elizabeth Baird New Member

Hi everyone,

I was given this lace by my grandmother (born in 1920s) when she returned from a trip home to Scotland in the early 1990s. She said it was handmade by one of her ancestors and had been in the safe-keeping of her older sister.

Can anyone tell me anything about it, such as age, design, thread type, weave, how it would have been made, how long it would have taken to make, what fabric the tablecloth would have been, etc. Any details that can ignite my imagination and pass onto my descendants.

Also, should I insure it? Who would be able to value it in New Zealand for insurance purposes? Do museums like these sorts of things? Would it only be of interest to a museum in Dundee (where our family are from)?

There are about four small orange stains on it. Should I try to remove them? If so, how?

It measures approx 1300mm x 1230mm.

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

Elizabeth x IMG_1721.jpeg IMG_1729.jpeg IMG_1734.jpeg

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Elizabeth.
    Such a nice family piece to have in your 'custody' now.
    It doesn't need separate insurance. While it is priceless to your family, it is not very valuable in monetary terms.
    The style and technique are pretty generic. Museums probably have a collection of these in storage. It will be appreciated more by your family.

It looks like fine crochet work to me, but I will tag our lace expert @Northern Lights Lodge for you.

bluumz likes this.
  3. Elizabeth Baird

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful response. ❤️

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I would have it made into a table cover and use it. Other possibility would be to use it in a frame as a border with a large picture of grandmother in the center or other items such as jewelry that may have belonged to her. Label it on the back with the info you know for future generations.

5. Elizabeth Baird

I really like your second idea. Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted