Antique Greyhound Riding Crop

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ashton H, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Ashton H

Ashton H New Member

Hello everyone,

My work on identify Grandma's antiques continues. I have a riding crop, the head is carved into a greyhounds head (2"). Unfortunately the lower jaw has been broken off. The detail in the head is AMAZING! you can see the musculature and bone structure as well as tiny teeth. I think there was some markings at one time on the collar. There is a very fain't "e" or "c" I have seen some other dog head riding crops but they aren't as handsome. I'm not sure if the Metal ring is brass, or gold, it is shiny and hasn't been cleaned. The bottom part of the crop that is used to hit the animal feels like a felted material. I don't think it is leather. The wooden portion is super smooth. The circumference gets wider at the top.

I plan on putting this up for sale on my Etsy shop, any suggestions for price?
    Date? Orgin? Materials?

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if the head is made of celluloid. That's about all I got, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along for you.

Interesting riding crop - I'm sure you'll find a buyer for it!

ETA: I've also found crops similar to yours made out of carved antler and ivory, though the coloring isn't quite the same.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

can't tell if it's plastic or ivory either......but I come down on the side of plastic !

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just curious....does this help any of you decide....I know...it gets a bit 'grainy'....... don't like the crack running horizontally.........

zGreyhound111.jpg

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I have examined the head as closely & carefully as photos allow (latest addition helpful, thank you) & see no sign that it is ivory or any other natural material, so agree it is some sort artificial material, quite possibly Celluloid or similar. That extremely straight crack is consistent, the place where the lower jaw broke off too.

Draft saved Draft deleted