(Antique?) Glass goblet question

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Anyone recognize this pattern or maker? Thanks! :)

glass.jpg glass2.jpg glass3.jpg glass4.jpg

2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

the pattern is 'Panel' (OMN) or '101' (AKA) c1880s; maker unknown tho' some think possibly George Duncan & Sons, which is what is often seen attributed

3. Lucille.b

Thank you, Tall Cakes. Absolutely amazing the knowledge here! :)

These were at a sale, $2 for the lot, absolutely perfect. I suspect might have been in a display cabinet for years or something. I'm trying to minimize the purchase of harder to ship items, but they just seemed to have quality and genuine age and before I knew it, I was getting them.

judy, TallCakes and komokwa like this.
  4. Lucille.b

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Lucille.b likes this.
  6. TallCakes

I'd call the color amber, which does vary in intensity with the darker sometimes called rich amber and lighter honey amber...
    forgot to mention that the goblets have been reproduced (by Wright c1960s-70s), but not sure about how to tell the difference, other than one online ref mentions reproduction having the 2-rings at the rim as these.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    Ladybranch and Lucille.b like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Thank you. More recent might explain their amazing condition. They do have a few very small bubbles here and there on close inspection -- would that suggest older?

8. TallCakes

pretty sure these are Wright reproduction

Lucille.b likes this.
  9. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Lucille.b likes this.
  10. Lucille.b

Thank you Tall Cakes and Susan. That link Susan posted nails it. They are 1960s-70s reproductions.

I appreciate the help! :)

11. TallCakes

L,G, Wright acquired many EAPG molds, which were dispersed when their company went out of business. Wright did not make the own glass; they contracted out to the lowest bidder in most cases. I didn't see this particular mold mentioned in the online list of 700 molds sold c1999.

Lucille.b likes this.
  12. Ladybranch

Lucille.b likes this.
  13. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I do not believe Geo. Duncan & Sons, Pgh made 101 or that pattern. What is the source that makes that statement?

Lucille.b likes this.
  14. TallCakes

I agree with you Tom, that GD&S didn't make 101. There are several references that do state it as fact, however, including McCain and The Cake Stand Book, which does not have a related correction on the Live Books website.

Lucille.b likes this.
  15. Ladybranch

Interesting! My books say GD, but my books are probably not as reputable as yours. Reilly & Jenks's pp 346-7 credits GDS, but have no idea how accurate they are. eapgpattern.com has a question mark next to Geo. Duncan as maker. The following comment is included. Do note is quotes Dori, I haven't seen her on here for quite a while:

"The attribution to George Duncan and Sons Glass Co. is unproven based on a scrapbook kept by Augustine H. Heisey when he was associated with the Duncan factory. Other patterns shown on this page of the scrapbook are: Duncans Three Face pickle jar; #335 Toilet Set; Leo XIII Candlestil. Heacock estimates the date of the page as 1880-1882 which shows a 4-inch Panel Nappy, so it is possible that Panel is the original name. He notes differences from 101, and that the sauce is scribbled over--indicating it may have been rejected. Dori Miles. (She has no doubt that Panel is the pattern name. No further idication of the manufacturer of this pattern has been found.)"

You need to be a subscriber to see the following page:
    http://eapgpatterns.com/patternsx.a...ufacturerName=possibly George Duncan and Sons

--- Susan

Lucille.b likes this.
  16. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I concur, The Duncan Scrapbook by Augustus H. Heisey (in my possession) shows a piece, it also shows pieces of Ironstone china and other non glass and non Duncan wares. Portions are clippings from engravers' proofs. The scrapbook was instrumental in the writing of Early Duncan Glass, and 101 was not included for various reasons. One of which is that it does not appear in any original Duncan material.

L G Wright had made for them

One Oh One (101) Goblet...............Total, 7,087... Crystal, 1203... Amber, 2239... Blue,1025........................... Ruby, 2620. No other pieces in the Wright records of production, only the goblet.

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted