Featured Antique French Apothecary Bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 15Stiftgasse, Aug 12, 2021.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Although I normally try to stick to ceramics, I'm currently deliberating whether to acquire this French apothecary jar/bottle, standing c. 16cm in height and apparently in good condition.

However - what puts me off a bit is the fact that, although the stopper may fit, it is not the same colour glass as the bottle itself.

Does this mean that the stopper is most likely a replacement - or is it not unknown for different colours of glass to be used for such items ?

Thanks for any advice !!!!!!!!!

908_-1825577580.jpg 908_-948184976.jpg 908_846191292.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's an attractive bottle. The stopper is likely a marriage, but it seems to go well with the label.

So far as what the bottle held: my efforts at translation lead to "pulverized gall nuts", which may be this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_infectoria

3. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactement

Perhaps originally something like this

DSC_0633h.jpg

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Agreed,looks attractive.Colours work.

5. 15Stiftgasse

Because of the likelihood of a marriage, I've decided to give this one a miss. As I get older, I'm trying to be a bit more 'picky' - if you see what I mean !

Sincere thanks for your valued comments, which have enabled me to make an educated decision on the purchase. Much better than taking a chance and regretting it later !!!

6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Just for interest,what was the asking price?

7. 15Stiftgasse

Not cheap ! €75, if I remember correctly !

8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Yes,that’s not cheap. Then considering everything I think you made the right decision not to buy.

9. David Kiehl

David Kiehl Well-Known Member

The stopper is definitely a marriage, in my opinion.

15Stiftgasse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted