Antique floor lamp winder/reel repair

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by OldSoftware, Apr 8, 2019.

1. OldSoftware

OldSoftware New Member

I have an antique floor lamp, Rembrandt Lamp Corp of Chicago that has a Appleton Electric reel winder in the base to pull the lamp cord into a reel. A rabbit chewed the cord in to and now the reel/winder, like a blind does, won't pull in the excess lamp cord. It appears the spring and probably the catch needs reset if there is one.

I have it apart and it is held together with a large rivet in the center with the electrical connection so you cannot open the reel without breaking the rivet. It will take some skill to fix. I would replace it but web searches have not been successful for the part.

I need a recommendation on who might be able to repair. The easy solution is to forget the reel/winder but I'd like to fix it.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Is there a lamp shop in your town...city...village....commune.....parish, or what ever part of the world you may be living in ?

Like if I said I knew a place in Montreal ...would that be of any real help to you ?

3. OldSoftware

OldSoftware New Member

I am not aware of any in Ft. Wayne, IN

komokwa likes this.
  4. OldSoftware

OldSoftware New Member

The device is pretty small and could be easily shipped It is about 8" around and less than 2#

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It would greatly help us if you could show it to us with some clear crisp photo's....
    Please Sir !

6. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

I’d check with some antique stores in your area for recommendations.

Figtree3 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

FWIW, I usually try to make a small purchase when I ask for favors like this. Most antique shops have some greeting cards or small, inexpensive bulk items up by the cash register.

Lucille.b and yourturntoloveit like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Actually, if you have a good vacuum repair shop - someone who has been in business for a lonnnng time, I would start there.

Older vacuums used to have those cord winders.

Draft saved Draft deleted