Antique expandable bookends, could use a few descriptive words

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Lucille.b, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I never find antiques at my thrift, yet these were there two days ago. So cool with the gargoyle-like owls as sentries on the sides of the books. The two were found at opposite ends of the thrift store! First I found the one and had no idea what it was put could see it was old so put it in my cart. Then found the other and figured it out.

I haven't found this exact bookend, would they be H. L. Judd? They are numbered.

One of the over-rails is missing, but it still works and holds. Heavy as can be, and they fold. Brass? How should I describe the metal? Black painted brass? Any keywords much appreciated.

Thanks!

bookends.jpg

bookends8b.jpg

bookends4r.jpg

bookends8a.jpg

bookends4e.jpg

bookends 4ee.jpg

bookends9.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Firemandk, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

judy, Any Jewelry, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Never seen so many capital letters in one eBay listing. That said think "pagoda" a good descriptor. Owls, of course, a symbol of wisdom and knowledge. I see some books marked Vol. I and Vol II. Any other markings on their spines?

Debora

Any Jewelry and Lucille.b like this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

those are very cool Lucille:) Sliding bookends is another term for them. What is the symbol in the middle, a snake around a sword?

Lucille.b likes this.
  5. Lucille.b

Thanks for finding that link @Roaring20s I guess mine are cast iron -- it just seemed like a few spots of wear seemed a slightly different color, but maybe that fits.

@Debora Pagoda is a good descriptor. Regarding the book titles I checked the spines, too. The few volumes as you noted, plus there is a Roman numeral on one book all the way to the right, and looked liked there might be titles, but with a loupe I think it's just marks made to look like that but nothing actually written. But good to check.

@cxgirl I wondered if that was a snake -- sort of reminds me of the medical staff symbol that has the snake, but I'm sure not that. I do think it's meant to be snake coming out of the roof possibly but its not very detailed. Also good to know "sliding bookends", is another way to describe.

I'm not sure what value these have with the missing center rod, but I think they would even be cool repurposed in some kind of display. I love the owls on the sides and the scene has such an antique look.

Thanks, all! :)

judy likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Intriguing bookends, Lucille. Although the shape is somewhat reminiscent of an Asian building, the symbols aren't.
    That could be its meaning here. A single snake entwining a staff is the symbol of Asclepios, the Greek God of healing.
    There are also owls supporting the roof, almost like caryatids. As Deborah said, owls are a symbol of the Goddess Athena and of knowledge, astuteness, and wisdom, which is why bookends are often shaped as owls.
    I don't know if it is at all relevant, but some libraries in European Antiquity were round, like this building.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    Lucille.b, i need help and judy like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Honestly, the things you find. Gobsmacked.

Debora

Firemandk, Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Lucille.b likes this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Firemandk and Lucille.b like this.
  11. Lucille.b

Went to bed, woke up and another Antiquers miracle! You guys are amazing! :)

AJ, thank you for the meanings of these things, so interesting.

Debora, I'm with you. SIS, can't believe you found the Judd catalog page. Wow.

INH, great links and comparables, with some solid info.

Ah, lamp shade! Yes you need a lamp for reading, too!

So from SIS's catalog, and INH's WP link which says this Judd model came in different colors, including cast iron ...and they identified their bookends with a 9000 series stock number, I think we are good to say H. L. Judd.

Thank you!

Firemandk and i need help like this.
  12. Lucille.b

After thought... these were somewhat expensive when new. The 1925 catalog lists this style bookend pair as $92.50 new!

i need help likes this.
  13. say_it_slowly

Firemandk, Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  14. say_it_slowly

$92.50 per dozen but don't know what things were costing back then, might have been pricey.

Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  15. Lucille.b

LOL, I missed the "per dozen". So not as much, but still 1920s prices...

i need help likes this.
  16. Lucille.b

i need help likes this.