Antique Etched Cordial Glasses Are They 18th C?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chris Wilkinson, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Chris Wilkinson

Chris Wilkinson New Member

Hi
    A family member purchased these tall antique cordial glasses for me at the flea market in Brimfield back in the lat 90's. I'm now trying to determine their age and whether they might be English or Colonial. I don't see any bubbles or feel a pontil mark but I also don't see a seam. There is a swirl where the pontil mark would be. Any comments would be appreciated. Pictures uploaded to gallery.

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

no one looks in the Gallery !!!!

[​IMG]

post them here, please.;)

judy likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Chris.
    Maybe this works:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

silverbell, judy, i need help and 2 others like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Moved to Glass Forum

Any Jewelry, judy and komokwa like this.
  5. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The cutting feels like (looks like) ca 1930-40, US, but I don't know about England or Europe at that time. I don't recognize the stem.

Any Jewelry, judy and Ce BCA like this.
  6. Chris Wilkinson

thanks so much for the help!! I couldn't upload them on the post because the image size was too large

Any Jewelry, judy and komokwa like this.
  7. Chris Wilkinson

thank you for your feedback. The only research I could find regarding the pontil location was one website stated that pontil marks were polished after about 1860 and some left a swirl, as on this glass.

judy likes this.
  8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

These are early 20th century. Polished pontil marks began around 1780/90, after this you can find polished or unpolished at any time. Gadget marks came in around 1870, and went out of general use in the early 20th century.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  9. Chris Wilkinson

Thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention that the etching on the base on the glass is on the bottom. I've never seen that before. Is that unusual?

judy likes this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi Chris, there is nothing on these stems that is etched which is a chemical process using acid. Your stems are cut, a process done by hand with a cutting wheel. The places that are shiny have been polished, the places that are frosted were left unpolished :)

11. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Quite common in English examples from Webb, Stevens & Williams and Brierley.

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That bowl is a very Webb shape.

13. Chris Wilkinson

thank you for the clarification on etching. Am I correct in assuming the flowers on the bowl are cut? Is this still an early 20th century glass? Does the swirl below the stem signify anything? And, I wasn't clear about the bottom of the glass. If you run your finger across the bottom, you can feel the design. It's not cut "into" the glass but is "raised". I've not come across anything like this before. Thank you for your feedback Marie.

14. Marie Forjan

I don't know about age but yes, the flowers are cut and left unpolished, that is why they look frosted. They are very sweet, enjoy them :)

15. Chris Wilkinson

the decoration on the bottom of the glass is raised, not cut. Have you come across anything like that before?

16. Marie Forjan

No, maybe it was the maker's mark?

17. Chris Wilkinson

no, it's a design along the edge of the base. Thank you for your help........chris

18. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Odd. That sounds more like the glass is molded.

Draft saved Draft deleted