Antique drop arm sofa help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Jamesmac8301, Aug 29, 2022.

1. Jamesmac8301

Jamesmac8301 New Member

imagejpeg_0(11).jpg Recently inherited an antique drop arm sofa from my late grandmother. She had told me that there were only 12 of these made and that it was valuable. I know nothing else about it, can anyone help identify or give any direction on finding info?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2022
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No idea. We'll need pictures of the back and underside. Similar were made in the gazillions in the 1870s/1880s and again in the 1930s and 1950s. The former are worth something sometimes. The latter are used furniture. I'm not expert enough to know which is what and what's worth money.

Figtree3 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm wondering if someone had a cat working it's claws on the arms of that sofa!:cat::cat:

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Aquitaine and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. Jamesmac8301

Jamesmac8301 New Member

Yes, both arms drop and are in good working condition. Aside from the upholstery having some rough spots it is in great condition. I will post more pictures soon!! I was also told that this sofa was used as a prop for a movie however I have no idea what movie. Trying to get more info....

Aquitaine and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing the arms in action. ;)

Keep in mind that family lore is often just a story or two.

BoudiccaJones and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. Jamesmac8301

Jamesmac8301 New Member

Right.. lol I know that all too well. I did gather more info tho... my great grandparents would have been the original owners and the best guess is that it's been in the family since the late 1800s.

9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Evelyn is right: This shape was common in the U.S. throughout the 19th century and well into the 20th. My first feeling is early 20th century, but I need to see more photos. Definitely unusual!

Figtree3, Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think we are probably right at the turn of the 20th century with those applied carvings and golden oak finish. Patent furniture was all the rage at this time. You might look for a patent number or other markings on the hardware that drops the arms.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am finding a few similar examples, with this one being the most similar. I think the upholstery on this, with the deep tufting, is probably what yours should look like.

[​IMG]

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So, once they drop (if they do!) maybe more like a 'day bed'??

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree re tufting. Change makes it a bit lifeless in comparison.

Debora

techbiker and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. Jamesmac8301

Jamesmac8301 New Member

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Later this week I will upload more photos of the bottom and back. I will also take one with the arms dropped. Stay tuned....

15. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Out of respect for grandma's story, we can work with the hypothesis that though many thousands are very, very similar and almost the same in every way that matters, only a dozen were made exactly like it. That said, the drop arm is not that common, which doesn't imply great interest on the part of the public, but makes it a bit more interesting. If keeping it, have it reupholstered to look like the one Brad found, otherwise, humph, you'll never get the money back.

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Is that its original upholstery?

Looking forward to seeing the photos with dropped arms! I've never seen one of those.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  17. Jamesmac8301

Jamesmac8301 New Member

Sorry for the delay, here are the additional pictures.

Attached Files:

Fern77 and judy like this.
  18. Jamesmac8301

Jamesmac8301 New Member

Back

Attached Files:

19. Jamesmac8301

Jamesmac8301 New Member

Bottom

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  20. komokwa