Antique dresser?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by outkastgamer, Dec 27, 2022.

1. outkastgamer

outkastgamer New Member

I'm new to forum. My grandmother bought a antique dresser 40+ years ago. My parents ended up with it after she passed away. Shockingly they told me the latch will keep opening on its on every once in a while and the cabinet will be wide open. The dresser was bought in Norfolk, Virginia. I don't have the measurements. Does anybody know what this image is that was on one of the dressers drawers? Does anybody know how old this dresser is? My concerns is something negative could be attached to this dresser. Please help.

symbol4.jpg

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

So You want to know if the mark is what's called 'An Apotropaic Mark (Witch Mark/Anti-Witch Mark), a symbol/pattern scratched on the walls, beams & thresholds of buildings to protect them from witchcraft or evil spirits. They have many forms; in Britain they are often flower-like patterns of overlapping circles.' from Wiki.
    I would put a camera w/ sound on it & review the tape every now & then.The mark could also be the Cabinet Makers logo/sigil.

judy likes this.
  3. outkastgamer

outkastgamer New Member

Thanks for responding back to my post. Hopefully other people on this forum will respond also.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Pic is not sufficient to evaluate your piece of furniture. Looks to be some kind of server or base cabinet. Does appear to have some age. Old latches are notorious for coming unlatched with vibrations. I would not impart anything more than that. I have no knowledge about your mark.

Figtree3, kentworld, bluumz and 3 others like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think I'm seeing hex screws on the hardware. Unless they've all been replaced, this piece was made after WWII.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

7. bosko69

Hex head (6 sided) screws & bolts-like the kind you use w/ a socket wrench/ratchet.Even though they were invented in roughly the 1860's,most common uses would be newer.
    Like Brad said,I wouldn't be too freaked abt a possessed item/haunting-there's a million things that can cause a door to open/creak.
    Keep a camera on it-see what happens.

komokwa likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I was making a bad pun. ;) Witched object with hex.....

Born2it, kentworld and BoudiccaJones like this.
  9. bosko69

Sorry O'Bear-You really Spooked me there for a second !

Ownedbybear likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I knew a Bear asking about screws Spelled trouble.

Ownedbybear likes this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hi, @outkastgamer -- Welcome!

Can you post more photos of this piece of furniture, at least one showing the entire thing? Also, pull a drawer out and take a picture of the side of it (to see how the front of the drawer is attached to the sides). And any more photos that show the structure of the piece of furniture.

12. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Well that added another level of creepiness to it.

When I opened this thread, I thought OP's profile picture was a side profile of a skull x-ray with bullet holes in it.

Draft saved Draft deleted