Featured Antique dolls

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by moparbrian, Sep 30, 2019.

1. moparbrian

moparbrian Active Member

file[1].jpeg Hello,
    I am helping my neighbor with some antique items she has. She is elderly and her husband had a stroke and she asked me to help find out what some items are and where we can ask for value because she needs to sell stuff to help pay for expenses.

2 dolls are marked "germany" on the backs of their necks. The other one with the green hat has "DRP ang" on the back if its neck.

Thank you View attachment 205845 file2.jpeg file3.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Brian, nice dolls, someone will be along to help.
    In the meantime, it would be wise to blur out the name and address on the shipping label in the top photo.

komokwa, i need help and SBSVC like this.
  3. moparbrian

moparbrian Active Member

Yes, My neighbor might not like that. thank you for spotting that.

komokwa, pearlsnblume and Sandra like this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Brian......

Not sure what you have.

The heads could be composition, or if the back of the head is cloth, like the bodies, then it is what is called mask face.

The clothes look to be hand made (at home).

The other doll with the marking......does it read DGRM which means it's registered?

None of the dolls were/are of high quality.

Let's see what @Christmasjoy thinks..............

anundverkaufen and i need help like this.
  5. moparbrian

moparbrian Active Member

6. moparbrian

moparbrian Active Member

7. moparbrian

moparbrian Active Member

My neighbor thought the 2 "germany" dolls were "bing Cor." and the doll marked DRP ang is a Norah willings? I do not know what this means but thought I wiould post if it helps.

i need help likes this.
  8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Norah Wellings was an English doll maker. The doll you show does not look like any Norah Wellings doll I've ever seen, but Christmasjoy might be more familiar with her.

I googled DRP, and celluloid dolls come up. The initials are not in my Encylopedia of Dolls book by the Colemans. It's possible that the heads are molded celluloid heads. They dent very easily, so be careful with them if they are.

Looking at the photos again, is that a dent on the first doll's nose or a chip?

Figtree3, Sandra and i need help like this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’m not a doll person, I did find this regarding The mark:
    ‘D.R.P.A.’, as the latter, more commonly ‘D.R.P. Ang.’ or ‘D.R.P. Angem.’, signifies
    Deutsches Reichs-Patent Angemeldet (i.e., that the patent had been sought but not
    yet granted. ‘D.R.P. Ang.’ marks were customarily used only for a short time, before.

So sounds like Patent Applied For.

10. moparbrian

moparbrian Active Member

@judy I believe it is a chip. I would have to look at it again. Is there any other place I should look for a mark?
    @i need help Thank you very much for that information. I will pass it along to my neighbor.

i need help likes this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

You could check the clothing, upper back of the body.....possibly on the foot.

If that's a chip, then composition is a possibility.

I enlarged your photos, the first doll looks like there could be a dent? on the left cheek facing you. Yet, the nose does look chipped,

The last doll, the one with the ititials, is that a small hole in the upper right of the forehead?

This might be a case of "hands on" to be sure what is what.

12. moparbrian

moparbrian Active Member

@judy ok. I live in the bay area of California. Do you know someone in this area or is there a resource I can look at to see?

13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I don't know any doll dealers in your area. Google might help.

Check to see if there are any doll shows coming up in your area. Google should bring up any. I doubt if you will find one however.

In all honesty, dolls are a very soft market these days. There used to be several dealers in all States, and a doll show several times a year throughout.

In my opinion from what I see, there is not a high value here.

If these dolls had been a part of my family, then I'd cherish them, but since they are not, I, as a one time collector would pass them by were they to be offered for sale.

As the saying goes.....'in the eyes of the beholder".

However, if they were highly sought after, and would bring a good price, I'd snap them up in a minute for resale. I don't see that here.

@Christmasjoy might have a different opinion. Wait to hear what she has to say.

sch3gsd likes this.
  14. moparbrian

moparbrian Active Member

@judy ok, Thank you for the info. I will relay this to my neighbor.

15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

16. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I agree with Judy, I first thought 'mask faces' over stuffed heads. Not Norah Wellings. Home-made clothing, plus much hand stitching on the bodies ... not of very much value but sort of cute anyway ... Joy.

anundverkaufen and judy like this.
  17. moparbrian

moparbrian Active Member

@Christmasjoy Thank you for your expertise. I will let my neighbor know. I am sure she will have other things for me to research :)

18. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Thanks for your imput Joy!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  19. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Actually Judy .. Thank you for yours, all I did was agree with YOU !!! .. I'm a little fuzzy this morning as I had a nasty dream last night apparently screaming out, it's been a lifelong event for me. All is well now :) .. Joy.

antidiem likes this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

One thing you could do is look for doll clubs. Generally, the club members may know something about the dolls themselves. But they also will probably know of doll dealers or people who do doll appraisals.

Many of these clubs are affiliated with the United Federation of Doll Clubs (UFDC). The U.S. is broken into regions for purposes of the organization. Northern California is in Region 2N, and the director of that region is listed here: https://www.ufdc.org/regions/region-2n/ -- You could try contacting the director for a list of doll clubs in your area.

I see there are two shows listed for November in the left column... one a doll show in Santa Rosa and one a Toy and Doll show that will be in Pleasanton.

I also found this appraiser's page from a person who lives near Modesto. Maybe pretty far from you? If you do look for appraisers it would be good to find more than one, of course, and check them out first.
    http://www.dollfixer.com/pb/appraisals/appraisals.html

Draft saved Draft deleted