Antique? copy of Walker's Manly Exercises

Discussion in 'Books' started by dude, Mar 30, 2021.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Found this neat old book.

Trying to find out the publication info (and value)
    as a few pages are missing. I'm thinking another $5-10 book but want to be sure. Looks like a late 1800s copy from the owner's writing. Thanks for any help.

IMG_20210330_190844.jpg IMG_20210330_190758.jpg IMG_20210330_191213.jpg IMG_20210330_191147.jpg IMG_20210330_191130.jpg IMG_20210330_191249.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

What's the title? Who is the author?

"A few pages are missing" doesn't sound good. Are there many illustrations? Are they mostly like the first, or mostly like those line drawings?

"Walker's Manly Exercises" is the title?

Figtree3 and dude like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3, dude and Bakersgma like this.
  4. dude

dude Well-Known Member

According to the editor's note (Craven), it is "a carefully revised edition of 'Walker's Manly Exercises' [I'm assuming Donald Walker] and an outline of 'Rural Sports.'" It has 319 pages and an index as well as a few dozen illustrations--mostly like the drawings I posted.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Figtree3 likes this.
  5. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I had found that site also. The problem is no pics of this book to compare the covers/bindings.

6. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Based on what I've found so far about this Craven fellow's revisions and the date someone wrote in the book, it seems it dates between 1855 and 1884. I find it fascinating how much "manly" exercises have changed over the centuries. This book even predates the info on the following site, which some of you may find interesting: https://squatuniversity.com/2016/08/19/squat-history-101/

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The pencil notation may well be 1984. I read H. Till Jr.

Debora

dude and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that handwriting is 1984..

BoudiccaJones and dude like this.
  9. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about that. It was in with a bunch of late 1800s/early 1900s books, many of which were fully signed 1890, 1901, etc. Are you seeing something that betrays modern in the script?

10. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Possibly, but I think unlikely, for reasons I detailed in my response to Komokwa.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  11. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

12. dude

dude Well-Known Member

13. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the replies!

14. komokwa

the handwriting,,,& the way the date numbers are separated by backslashes.

to my eye, it screams 1984........
    1884......they taught a much different script....and more elegant way of writing,,
    IMO...

BoudiccaJones and dude like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Re date, to the best of my knowledge, I've never seen an "old" book signed with that format. I'd love to see other examples if you've got 'em (and the time to post a photograph or two.)

Debora

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The book can be old, even if the handwriting is new. When I was younger I wrote my name in very old books that I had bought.

dude likes this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Is the title page missing in your copy? That could be significant. The online version found by @Roaring20s has a nice clear title page.

18. komokwa

dude and Figtree3 like this.
  19. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

Sometimes, if I want to check if a book is complete or want to check a specific version I use Google books. There are several versions of your book digital available.

20. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Sadly, yes. Would likely ask 1/2 or even 1/3 of lowest prices currently online given the missing pages.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted