Antique copper cauldron- Century ?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Boland, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

7809156A-0F51-4719-933C-5A442C91806B.jpeg AC1138A1-A114-46C0-B6F3-3BA2EF2D628A.jpeg 2D1ED281-F984-40A9-85A3-9BD3499B6D94.jpeg 87EFEB3B-31B3-41C6-8100-D0F1F30DA28D.jpeg Hi all,I was just wondering is this cauldron late 19th century or maybe early 20th (is there any way to tell for sure?) Has got hand forged iron cast handles. Also while reading about these cauldrons one was described as a apple or butter pot. Would this be correct? It’s 40cm wide at the top,47cm at the bottom and 24cm high. Thank you for any comments. Keep well

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think probably Middle Eastern in origin. While older, I think we are second or third quarter of the 20th century.

the blacksmith and Boland like this.
  3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Appreciated the comment. Didn’t think Middle Eastern (very interesting) Sorry but I don’t understand the second part of your comment. Please can you clarify as to what you think the age of this is. Thanks

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

1925 to 1975

Boland likes this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Ok.Thanks. Well as late as 1975 that’s surprising.. The examples I found were listed as late 19th or early 20th.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

show us a couple , to see where your going with this....

it's hard to date these things..

Boland likes this.
  7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Agreed. Seems difficult to date precisely (but it’s understandable I think) Overall Im Ok with 1925-1975 date. Just didn’t think as late as 1975. This thing must have had a hard life outside somewhere.

8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I don’t have the knowledge to identify the fine differences in construction linked to the possible time period and origin of construction. Also found some very similar looking (well to me) ones listed as 1800’s (which doesn’t seem likely so I think there’s a lot of guessing going on in general) I’ll just settle on a mid 19th century date for mine (it was just for interest sake anyway)

komokwa likes this.
  9. verybrad

I really don't think as late as the 70s either. Hard to pin down but probably more like 2nd quarter or toward the earlier part of that third quarter.

You mean mid 20th century, don't you?

Boland likes this.
  10. verybrad

I think if this were earlier, it would have a rolled rim and more ornate srap-work. Here is an earlier example.
    [​IMG]

This is being sold as English arts and crafts (which it is not) and at an exhorbitant price, so will not quote the source.

the blacksmith, Figtree3 and Boland like this.
  11. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

Totally agree with verybrad. Indian quite possibly, and late manufacture; they are still making them too! The copious hammer marks here have been put in for effect, to make it look older, they are not hammer marks caused by working the metal. No self respecting craftsman anywhere who could make these items properly, would leave them this rough, nor would they need to. Good hammer control comes naturally with a little practice, and copper and brass are such joy to work in, and they do not need to be hit that hard.
    I think quite possibly later than 1975 !

Boland and komokwa like this.
  12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Appreciate the comment and info. Thanks

komokwa likes this.