Antique Cobalt Porcelain Rose Plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mr2real, Jan 4, 2015.

1. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

This piece came from an estate sale I went to last summer. I found several pieces of early 19th century and a few pieces of 18th century pottery (the owner had the labeled with the makers name because he studied them). The remainder of the estate was donated to a thrift store and that is were this piece is now. I pass it up due to a rim chip, and roughness in the center. Along with the hand painting, there are raised designs similar to pieces of Nippon. Could it be RS Prussia? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Joe

Most of the estate was auctioned here - http://www.liveauctioneers.com/cata...nnis-estates-absolute-antiques/page1?rows=120

A couple of the pieces I found were Dr Wall porcelain, Worcester, and Swansea ceramics by Thomas Pardoe. Most of his ceramics were English.

IMG_5490.JPG IMG_5491.JPG

cxgirl likes this.
  2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Joe - IMHO it's Nippon. It's a nice piece - a shame about the chip. These pieces have value on their own. If you search Nippon Blue you'll see other examples very close to this one. They have value but the chip will hurt it. It might have been part of a dessert set at one time. Don

mr2real likes this.
  3. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

Thanks Don!!!

4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I agree with Don about it being Nippon. It's just lovely and if I collected that type of item, I would buy it for only $4 just to be able to gaze at it from time to time.

That auction you provided the link to is (was) killer!! Wish we had some like that here, but then, I probably couldn't afford anything. As I was scrolling down the page, I thought "why would they include an old mop head?" That was until I realized that it was an Epaulet. Doh! LOL!

spirit-of-shiloh and cxgirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted