Antique Clown Doll TIA for ANY info!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Studio Antiques, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Studio Antiques

Studio Antiques Well-Known Member

Hello antiquers! We've got this stuffed doll, appears quite old, head is hollow, hand painted, there is a string coming out of the top so it could be hung. Ornament of some sort?

TIA

DSC_1854.jpg

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

YOW! Looks like a clown doll in a horror movie :woot:

Sorry, I know that was no help, but clowns scare me!

judy, pearlsnblume and SBSVC like this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Sorry, Studio, no offense intended, but I have to agree with Marie... I absolutely HATE clowns! (I do, however, think that I've seen the face on yours before - but then again, it might have been in a bad dream.)

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Me too, do not like clowns.
    But yours certainly looks vintage.

judy likes this.
  5. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Look at it long enough it blinks:nailbiting:

aaroncab and cxgirl like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It looks fairly old to me. Clowns don't generally bother me at all. I wish somebody who knew something about this sort of thing had looked in!

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Faintly, from deep recesses of the mind, a voice is saying it reminds me of a hand puppet seen in early childhood.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Bronwen likes this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I would say all of them are so similar as to be possibly same maker.....although some have "mittens" and others have "gloves".....but the faces and tie/hangar coming out of the top of the head is spot on!!!! Their conditions all vary and one said 30's to 40's......

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  12. Gregg Bruff

Gregg Bruff New Member

Hello. I grew up in southwest Missouri. Around 1953 or so, my parents took me to a circus in Joplin, Mo. There, they bought me a clown doll exactly like the one pictured above. I still have it. It originally came hanging from a two foot long bamboo stick. My version is still more or less blue and red. Same red ribbon coming out of the head. Thanks for posting. Gregg

komokwa, Ghopper1924 and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi George!

Welcome to Antiquers.............:cat:

Could you post a picture of it and post it here?

(this happens to be an old thread)

komokwa likes this.
  14. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I agree, I was a child on the West Coast U.S. in 1950s, and the neighbor kid across the street had this identical clown on a stick. I wasn't impressed.

Imagine my horror, when I opened a package on Christmas morning, found a colorful tin music box inside. You wound a little handle on the side, and when the music stopped, out popped this clown head!

I hated clowns then, and have all my life. Can't believe that Santa Claus didn't know that. Maybe he did, because came to the conclusion that I was being punished for something I'd done sometime that year.

I hid the box and clown away until my little sister came along a few years later, and discovered it. And she loved it! I think she still has the clown.

Bakersgma and judy like this.
  15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted