Featured Antique Clock?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by meredithm, Jul 23, 2015.

1. meredithm

meredithm New Member

Can anyone tell me anything about this clock? It was my grandparents and looks to be marble combined with brass. Seems very old and says "Chartier" on the front as well as some other words that have faded off. Have found some E.D Chartier clocks but none look like this at all so I m wondering if it is a different Chartier? The tag from when they bought it says $600 but that was about 35 years ago. I want to know app. how old it may be, as well as worth? Thanks!
    clock.jpeg clock2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Gorgeous thing ! I get an art nouveau vibe off it,1920s or so. But I also could be wrong. Love the curves.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It does look like alabaster but could be marble. Alabaster is easy to scratch, marble is not, so a scratch test in a discreet place such as underneath would establish which it is. Marble is more valuable than alabaster. I'd say that it's a bit later, possibly 1900. A picture of the movement would help. A picture of the dial with the glass open would make the writing easier to see, as would a larger picture. About 800 pixels across would be better.

Certainly French.

Clock values have declined a lot for this type of fancy clock in the last 20 years.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It looks striking (which may be literal). Must weigh a ton.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted