Featured ANTIQUE CHOPSTICK TROUSSE w/SHAGREEN SCABBARD

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Aug 23, 2024.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Soooo, I picked this up today at auction, and I just love it!

Or to be more precise, I picked up parts of this thing, today.

This antique Manchurian chopstick trousse came with the scabbard, and the original knife, but sadly the chopsticks were in a damaged and unsalvageable condition. They'd been broken at some point and couldn't be restored. They were bone, and...yeah.

Anyway, I managed to replace the damaged chopsticks with a pair of silver chopsticks from my own collection, which fits the holster and are of the right length and shape to slide in neatly...

trousse001.jpg trousse002.jpg trousse003.jpg trousse004.jpg

The thing with these trousses is the chopsticks breaking seems to be a regular problem. The other set I have also came with broken bone chopsticks, which I again, replaced with silver. I've never seen a set which I could yet afford, which had intact chopsticks. One day I will...maybe...

trousse005.jpg

kyratango, mirana, kentworld and 8 others like this.
  2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Cool find to add to your collection!

kyratango likes this.
  3. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I love both of those! Very interesting works of everyday art.

kyratango likes this.
  4. Shangas

The top one is the sharkskin one, and the one underneath is tortoiseshell.

According to the research I've done, these types of trousses came into fashion in the 1700s under the Emperor Qianlong, and died out in the early 1900s. From what I've seen, nobody is making reproductions.

If you do a LOT of digging, you can find photos of people wearing them, like this one from Canton in the 1860s...

sticks.png

5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I love a good deep dive. Thank you for sharing what you've found. Those gentleman definitely look fashionable; wearing their best for that photo. I love the idea of gents being ready for food anytime with their best dressed and holstered tableware. Why not make the things we use beautiful and accessorize them.

Gus Tuason and kyratango like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the knife looks ridden hard and put away wet....
    do u think it's original to the scabbard ?

7. Shangas

The knife fits the scabbard, so I think it is original, yes. It conforms to the style of knife typically used in sets like these, according to other examples I've seen.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted