Antique Chinese Sword(?)

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Doug Ketcher, Mar 3, 2023.

1. Doug Ketcher

Doug Ketcher Well-Known Member

Good Day,
    I recently purchased a sword that appears to be very old and I was hoping to find some information online to help me identify what country it was produced and what timeframe. The handle appears to be wrapped in leather and the hilt appears to be very worn brass with the heads of two dragons (?). The blade is very rusted, but is still ornate with numerous designs carved into it which seems to show stars, mountains, and clouds, among other designs I can't make out. I thought the sword was Asian in origin, but again I am unsure and was hoping someone could throw some ideas my way. ANY Info would be GREATLY Appreciated! Thanks!

Entire sword is 36 inches long and is a single blade.
    ANTIQUE CHINESE SWORD - 1.jpg ANTIQUE CHINESE SWORD - BLADE and SHEATH.png ANTIQUE CHINESE SWORD - 2 HILT.jpg ANTIQUE CHINESE SWORD - BLADE 1.jpg ANTIQUE CHINESE SWORD - BLADE 2.jpg

wlwhittier likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't care for the grommet or the metal snaps on the sheath, if this is to be an old weapon.
    Possibly the sword and sheath did not originate together....

more investigating is needed .......

sabre123 and Doug Ketcher like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a Dao, a Chinese sword/sabre. It looks decorative or ceremonial to me. Age guesstimate ca 1900.
    That white stuff on the sheath looks like mould, it has obviously been kept in damp conditions.

komokwa, sabre123 and Doug Ketcher like this.
  4. Doug Ketcher

Thanks for your insights!

komokwa likes this.
  5. Doug Ketcher

Thanks for your expertise, AJ! After looking online, my thought was also a "Dao", but I was not able to find a hilt that resembled mine (dragons) or the designs on the blade (stars, mountains, clouds). Would you happen to know an example of these on other swords (pics)? Just curious as to what it actually looks like. Also, should I have the blade cleaned of the accumulated rust? Thanks Again, AJ.. Very helpful info!

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Not everything 'out there' is online.;) If this was a small production, or possibly custom made, it is unlikely you'll find a second one. But as we know, rare doesn't necessarily mean valuable.
    I based my date guesstimate on other types of items of a similar manufacture, and on the type of decoration on the blade.

I would certainly get rid of the rust, because it will eat away at the blade. There seems to be quite a lot of it, but you could try oil on it first and see what the result is before going on to more drastic things.
    Komo probably has advice on rust treatment as well.

And for the sheath, this site has advice on how to treat mouldy leather:
    https://steelhorseleather.com/blogs/the-journal/remove-mold-leather-essential-guide

komokwa, sabre123 and Doug Ketcher like this.
  7. Doug Ketcher

Too Awesome! Thanks AJ!

8. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have mentioned before a product called Frontier 45. It is a scouring pad for carbon steel. It is not like most scouring pads and is probably made of nickel. It will not scratch steel but will scratch softer metals like nickel ,copper or brass. I use it to clean up pocket knives and carbon steel kitchen knives. I used it to clean up my father's Marine machete. So I think it would work on a sword. If you just put oil over the rust you will continue to get rust under the oil. we see this often with people who just oil fireams. Try using a nickel and lightly rub a spot to see if it comes clean.

komokwa and Doug Ketcher like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Not in my experience or that of other keris collectors/guardians, it is how keris are usually treated.

komokwa likes this.
  10. Doug Ketcher

Will do, Many Thanks Lark!

komokwa likes this.
  11. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Just to be on the safe side i emailed Frontier 45 and this is their reply

Big 45 is safe to use on swords and knives with standard metal finish, go lightly in a small area to test 1st. Thanks for selling our product.

R.Nelson

Doug Ketcher likes this.
  12. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

13. Doug Ketcher

Excellent! Thanks a Ton!!! Looking forward to seeing what's under all the rust!

14. Doug Ketcher

15. komokwa

I can not find , have not found , any sword blade or guard and handle to compare this item to.....

I have found nothing to corroborate AJ's thoughts on it's possible age either.

Any similar sheaths I've come across....are of more recent manufacture .

I give up for now.......:sorry::sorry:

maybe a cleaned up blade willl reveal more details ...;)

16. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

The blade form looks like a liuyuedao, but the type that people actually used should have a slightly curved grip and would have a simple cap rather than the ornate pommel on this sword. The guard on them would also be cup shaped to keep rain out of the sheath. Also, unless I’m looking at the photos wrong, the design is raised and looks like it is an acid resist or sandblasted pattern. It is not a forged pattern. The bronze guard looks old and worn at a glance, but there is no wear pattern to it. It looks like weak castings instead of use.

I am leaning towards this being a vintage rather than antique sword. Maybe just post WWII. I could see a service member in Asia thinking it’s neat and brining it home with him. It would fit with the sheath and the condition of the leather wrap.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Agree.
    In Java, Indonesia, that was mostly used for souvenir blades from the early 20th century until pre-war. I don't know if that was the case in China, but I imagine it could have been.

komokwa and NaptownFTW like this.
  18. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

I think that this is a quite modern, perhaps tourist piece, or possibly cobbled together using available parts, though quite possibly with an older blade. The casting and finish of the pommel and guard are poor quality and not really finished, and look recent to me, as does the scabbard. The blade however, may be an older one, and would certainly be worth cleaning carefully.
    As for a country of origin, I have no idea, but it appears to be trying to be Chinese. The pommel looks sort of Viking in its inspiration, whilst the quillons, which are of poorer quality, sort of look Chinese in influence with their dragons heads.
    All in all, I think it is probably a mismatch of bits.

Just my thoughts and observations.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. komokwa

Nice to see you around !!!!!!
    I concur with your take on things ..;)

20. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

Thank you!
    I do check in from time to time, but there hasn't been anything of late that I could possibly add much of anything to. But, It is nice to be here again!:happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted