Featured Antique Chinese Stoneware Jar With Prehistoric Cork Lid

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Oct 27, 2024 at 1:08 PM.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Would anyone know how old this jar may be? The cork lid is extremely old.

jar1.jpg jar2.jpg jar3.jpg jar4.jpg jar5.jpg

mmarco102, Boland and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Ha ha, I assume the’ prehistoric’ part is making a joke? How do you know the cork itself is extremely old? (Is it the discolouring? )or like in the tree must have been very old? The whole thing looks to have some age and might be antique (I think) But wait for more knowledgeable members

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beauty, Chinese/SE Asian provincial ware. The sheen on the glaze makes me think no older than 19th century, but unfortunately the age of this type of utilitarian ware is very difficult to determine, so I could be wrong.

Of course the cork is not pre-historic, but I get what you mean.:playful: It is rare to have one complete with a cork though.

Boland likes this.
  4. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Boland, sort of. Seeing the cork in person, it does look really old.

Any, Thanks, most jars I see don't have lids.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted