Featured Antique? chinese pendant ?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by charlie cheswick, Nov 7, 2022.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Hi all

this was one of about 5 pieces i bought at local auction yesterday, came to about £6 with fees

the pic was so bad, all i had to go on was the shape and the string, but thought it couldnt be anything other than ivory

pretty sure it is and hoping it has some age as well, very smooth and handled

quite a nice dark ivory patina

not quite sure its a pendant, but cant decide what else it is

not daylight left so pics are quite bad

any thoughts or info appreciated

iv4.JPG iv7.JPG iv1.JPG iv6.JPG iv10.JPG iv14.JPG

KSW, johnnycb09, sabre123 and 4 others like this.
  2. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

I havent seen such orange ivory, but I see the shreger lines, so I guess its just colored
    Cant help you with any other info though, sorry

KSW and charlie cheswick like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, charlie. A mystery dangle thingy, and I agree, dyed ivory.

I have two antique Chinese mystery dangle thingies on knotted silk cords, one is a gorgeous jade mythological fish, the other is a cash coin with all sorts of cute miniature household items carved from ivory etc.
    Mine came down from my mother's side of the family. I just found them in an old jewellery box, and have no idea how a Dutch-French-German family that never traveled outside Europe got them.:confused:

4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

You bought that in the UK? That is now a crime for the seller and for the buyer (if you knew or suspected it to be ivory). It may be prudent for you to delete this thread and if it were me I would be returning the item to the seller and explain the situation to them.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Agree with stained ivory! Very nice looking, and must be very tactile.
    A pocket beauty, meant to be touched and enjoyed by its owner?
    Me too would have take the bet for 6!!!:woot:

6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:wideyed::rolleyes: I may go to jail... I'd NEVER buy a modern piece of ivory, but old ones deserve to be saved before legal hooligans decide to destroy them:facepalm:

7. charlie cheswick

Great info thanks Aj

Looking around online I'm wondering if it's a belt toggle ?

Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. charlie cheswick

Yeah I thought that's where the colour had come from, being handled and such

johnnycb09, kyratango and Dessert58 like this.
  9. charlie cheswick

10. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

If you get caught buying or selling them in the UK that's a sure way to have it destroyed, it would be seized and destroyed and you would pay a fine for the privilege.

11. charlie cheswick

Thanks for the warning ce b, I'll try and get the title changed, just in case ;)

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

13. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

None of the exemptions apply to this item, they are very specific, and you have to make the necessary arrangements in advance of sale/purchase. Quote from the site:

''You cannot sell or hire out any ivory you own that has not been registered or certified under any circumstances. If you’re involved in arranging or facilitating an illegal sale, purchase or hire, you will be committing an offence under the Ivory Act 2018.''

14. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Congrats Charlie-I hope your 'toggle' tests as Han Dynasty made from dragon bone,it's a cutie.
    Heck-in Oregon they sell shotguns (you actually used to see them at Garage & Estate Sales,but it's been a while so maybe they've changed that).I like the idea that all these little regions in the UK have these mini auctions & boot-sales.I picture roving bands of old gypsy wagons pulling-up to little hamlets in the shire spilling out there wares on ancient blankets.
    Auctions & impromptu little ( pop-up) sales sound almost common in Britain.

15. charlie cheswick

Thanks bosko

The fact that it is ivory, was secondary really

It was purely out of interest and like of the carving and look of the piece

If it was made of another material I still would have been interested

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  16. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

No I hear You,and most likely it's antique ivory...unless of course-it is dragon bone ! DNA Lab perhaps ?
    PS-So you're little seaside village has local auctions,or a nearby city ?
    PSS-I didn't know stuff at auction could go so cheap,beats blowing 10 or 20 bucks on gas.I've got to check for local ones here.

17. charlie cheswick

Yeah from town near local village. Their auctions are always a gamble because they only show one badly shot photograph, and poorly described titles

Think this was stated as just a chinese pendant

I quite like that though, because you have a chance at a real bargain if you get a good feeling about the item

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  18. charlie cheswick

Yeah I totally agree kyra, would I commission an elephant to die for such things, not a chance in hell

But I grew up believing ivory was a precious and rare thing, so when I see an old piece going for peanuts, I'd like to own it and appreciate it

And don't really have to feel the need to justify that either, but I understand the comments from ce b because I suppose you need to know the legalities of it, and I think that's coming from a be careful point of view

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    Houseful, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  19. charlie cheswick

How's about this for a question

You walk into a house clearance shop

There's a mannequin adorned with an original German ww2 uniform with all the accessories

And they are asking £20 hat and all

Houseful likes this.
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u check it for condition.....if acceptable...u grab it...

Houseful and charlie cheswick like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted