Featured Antique Chinese bracelet - help!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Sketco, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Sketco

Sketco New Member

I need some help with this. It's been in my family for 4 generations. My great grandmother grew up in Beijing and bought it after the looting of the Old Summer Palace, according to her that's where it came from. At the very least that lets me date it to at least 1860.

I'm considering selling it and I'd be grateful if anyone could give me an idea of how much it might be worth?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kyratango, Aquitaine, judy and 4 others like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

GREAT photos!
    Any marks?

bobsyouruncle likes this.
  3. Sketco

Sketco New Member

Unfortunately not. That would be too easy :dead:

4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Lot going on there.
    Maybe be hidden or obscured. :)

Aquitaine, judy and bobsyouruncle like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Sketco.
    It is a very beautiful bracelet, good quality, attractive designs, and very wearable. (That is to say, I would gladly wear it.:))
    If this ever saw the Summer Palace, it must have been after 1860.
    I think it was made in Thailand between 1880 and 1930. The large domes and the style of filigree are classic Thai. Little repoussé figures of divinities were often added.
    This could have ended up in Beijing, most likely on an American or European wrist. Antique jewellery often has an amazing history.
    We don't do values here, all I can say is we would probably list a bracelet like this in our shop for something like $500.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Prices vary by region. So what one might get in one area might not be the same as another. Helps if you can give a general idea of where you are selling from, so that one can compare possible economic backgrounds. You might be a poorer or richer area than the OP is in.

When I give prices, I usually say I'm in Northern CA. People in the Bay Area or East Coast could possibly realize more for an item.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're right. Our shop is on Etsy, so our prices are geared towards the general international market.
    You will probably do better in a specialized auction, but an auction house can take a substantial chunk of the total amount.

kyratango and clutteredcloset49 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted