Antique Chess Set

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Apollo_23, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Apollo_23

Apollo_23 New Member

Hello again all. Along with the China I found, I also found d this chess set. Just trying to learn more about it. This was purchased in Asia in the 40's or 50's I think. Anyone seen one like this. I do not know if it is bone or ivory. Appreciate your help

20181103_140350_resized.jpg

20231212_031341_resized.jpg
    20181103_133820_resized.jpg
    20181103_133548_resized.jpg

Brian Warshaw and wlwhittier like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Please show a clear, sharp photo of the bottom of one of the chess pieces :)

However, looking at the one closeup of the back of one of the chess pieces I suspect bone.

If bought in the 40s or 50s it is possible it was new then which would make it too young to be antique (100 years old).

aaroncab, kyratango and wlwhittier like this.
  3. Apollo_23

Apollo_23 New Member

I will when I get home but the bottom of all of them has green felt on them. I am leaning more toward bone too, as I do not see that diagonal pattern that you see on ivory. I saw a few similar ones that were quite pricey, even for bone.

wlwhittier likes this.
  4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to recall when the word vintage applied only to wines. Is the "100 years" a cut-off in the technical or legal sense, or is it simply an agreed figure among the Gurus of Old Stuff?

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is the agreed age, although overhere some people agree on 80 years.
    An item from the 40s or 50s isn't considered antique in either understanding.

kyratango and wlwhittier like this.
  6. wlwhittier

Thanks, AJ...
    80 would put it at 1943...so 'over-there' I qualify as Officially Antique! I'm SO happy!

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Well, you are half Dutch, so yes, antique.:joyful:

lvetterli, kyratango and wlwhittier like this.
  8. wlwhittier

Thank you, AJ...for remembering! Seems there's nothing faulty about your memory!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Marie Forjan

Thanks, but with the felt on the bottom it probably won't help.

What I am seeing are black spots and lines. Bone has blood vessels in it, ivory does not. The black spots and lines are from the blood vessels.

wlwhittier likes this.
  10. wlwhittier

I've used those in differentiating bone from ivory, but had not consciously associated them with circulatory anatomy. Thanks, Marie!

11. Apollo_23

Apollo_23 New Member

So I got into some good light and took pictures of some of the exposed bases. The white and dark color pieces. It appears those cross grain Schreger lines on the exposed bases but I am no expert. What you think

Attached Files:

12. Marie Forjan

OOPS! Those could be ivory :(

aaroncab likes this.
  13. Apollo_23

Apollo_23 New Member

Does bone have those criss cross lines. I never heard of Schreger lines but have since read that they are very hard to see and they are not everywhere

14. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Bone does not have Schreger lines. They are some form of ivory. Most likely elephant not mammoth. Doesn't look like enough patina on them to be to be older than 1980. :bag:

aaroncab likes this.
  15. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Definitely looks like ivory.
    Beautiful for display in your own home, but very unfortunate if you had ever thought to sell them.

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

No.
    Not really, not if you are looking at an item directly or at a very good photo.

Schreger lines 3 detail.jpeg

They do not run through all parts of the tusk & only show up when those parts are cut in cross section. There is more of a wood grain appearance when cut lengthwise.

Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  17. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I agree,
    Definitely Ivory
    Reminded me of the set I had, But mine was Ebony and Ivory, and from Africa. That is a very nice set.
    Mikey

Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  18. Apollo_23

Apollo_23 New Member

The set is much older then that. My Grandmother only left the states once since she left Hungary and came here in Jan 1944 before the Germans invaded. That was late 40s or early 50s and It was purchased then so I am told. Due to what happened in Hungary my grandmother built a panic room in her house and it was stored on there for years tucked away. She got sick in the 70's

19. Apollo_23

Apollo_23 New Member

Are there places that can verify the age of it. I do not know how though. Carbon dating?

Draft saved Draft deleted