Antique Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by WillowsIvy, Jan 20, 2024.

1. WillowsIvy

WillowsIvy New Member

Greetings, I clean out homes and resell items and I was hoping one of you pros could help identify this chair and possibly it's value. I had to really shrink size of photo to allow it get posted. It does have "wheels" on the front. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Figtree3 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Victorian, of course. But a better photograph is needed. Someone will be along shortly with instructions about how to post.

Debora

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

komo's helpful advice:

For Future reference, when posting images:

Each image MUST be UNDER 1 MB....
    There are instructions on site here on how to reduce the size of your image, if that is the problem......you are allowed up to 10 images per post!!! Here are some links to the instructions:

Try emailing them to yourself as "medium" size, they should then be under 1 MB!

If on the computer:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

If on an iPhone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/resizing-photos-on-i-phone.35097/

And if on an Android phone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/using-an-android-phone-for-pics-on-antiquers.41709/

As an added note, when you have your photos LISTED, BUT BEFORE you hit POST, please click on the wording that says to "INSERT EVERY IMAGE AS FULL IMAGE" !! That way, we're not clicking on little thumbnails, but get to see all of the images full sized!! Thanks! Remember, it takes a bit for MOST new members to get the hang of it, but it's really quite simple once you get used to it!!!" If you still have questions, DON'T hesitate to ASK!!!!

Figtree3, komokwa and Debora like this.
  5. WillowsIvy

WillowsIvy New Member

This is the top portion

Attached Files:

6. WillowsIvy

WillowsIvy New Member

The bottom

Attached Files:

7. WillowsIvy

WillowsIvy New Member

Back of chair bottom

Attached Files:

8. WillowsIvy

WillowsIvy New Member

And top of back

Attached Files:

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would you be kind enough to post a photograph of the entire chair please?

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The wheels are so a maid could move the chair around to clean under it. The upholstery looks later. Circa 1900-ish parlor chair?

WillowsIvy likes this.
  11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Ca. 1870 armchair, probably rosewood but possibly walnut. It would have been part of a parlor set consisting of a sofa, a couple of armchairs, and maybe 4 side chairs. The upholstery is later.
    I do not know your location, so can’t predict value. In my part of the US Midwest I’d think less than $100 on a good day. Too bad, because the wood and craftsmanship would seem to suggest more.
    Oh, and BTW the German word for furniture, moebel, tells us why there were casters on furniture in this time period, ie mobility. Beds, desks, chairs, tables, all had casters so that they could be moved around as needed. Most people did not have enough furniture to keep it in one place all the time. A table, for example, might be moved to the center of the room for breakfast, then moved to a corner during the day as the family used the space for different purposes.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with Ghopper. Sometimes called a balloon back chair. We see similar here under $50.00 here in my more rural, also Midwest, area quite regularly.

Figtree3 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  13. WillowsIvy

WillowsIvy New Member

Thank you everyone

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks for the information. Fun to know of the word origin.

Draft saved Draft deleted