Featured Antique cased photo-military uniform identification please!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by shamster, Jul 14, 2024.

1. shamster

shamster Well-Known Member

Bought this today, not a collector of military themed photos but found this a nice one, could anyone tell me a bit more about this gentleman please? 2.jpg

2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

IMHO superb piece.Can you give measurements,it may be an Ambrotype.Is there a maker's mark impressed in the cases inner velvet cover ?
    PS-Any antique photo experts in the house.Can you recommend anyone @Any Jewelry ?

3. shamster

Thank you:shame:it measures roughly 12 x 9.6 cm when closed. Unfortunately there is no marks

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Sitter does not look American.

Figtree3 and shamster like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Google Images thinks it's a Portuguese uniform but whadaIknow. Here's King Luis I.

Debora

upload_2024-7-14_12-13-11.png

Figtree3 and shamster like this.
  6. shamster

Thank you lol I tried google too but I myself can't tell the difference between all of them at all:hilarious:

johnnycb09 likes this.
  7. shamster

This is bought in uk, tho that won't guarantee it's origin:watching:

johnnycb09, Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The sleeve decoration is very distinctive.

Debora

johnnycb09 likes this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Figtree3, Any Jewelry, Marote and 2 others like this.
  10. shamster

Would that indicate a higher rank?:wideyed:

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Described as "Gold faced cuffs." No idea as to their meaning.

Debora

Last edited: Jul 14, 2024
    Marote and shamster like this.
  12. shamster

13. 2manybooks

I am assuming the 46 might mean 46th regiment, hence my disappointment at not being able to find an example of a uniform from the 46th to confirm.

14. shamster

But guess we're quite close tho :joyful: thanks

15. 2manybooks

OK - the 46th South Devonshire Regiment of foot served in the Crimean War in 1854.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/46th_(South_Devonshire)_Regiment_of_Foot

Here is a medal awarded to Charles Wooden of the 17th Lancers, who served in the Light Brigade (also Crimean War). It looks very similar to what we can see of the medal your fellow is wearing -
    upload_2024-7-14_16-16-34.png
    https://www.gutenberg.org/files/49986/49986-h/49986-h.htm

A date of the mid 1850s is consistent with the type of photograph (probably an ambrotype). So, he may be from the 46th Regiment, and served in the Crimean War.

16. shamster

That's very detailed, thank you so much! Tho I have almost 0 idea of military&history stuff at that time haha :shame: do you think it possible to find out who he is? If his rank is high enough to be identified

17. 2manybooks

One thing you might try is looking behind the photograph. Sometimes there are pieces of paper hidden there, with information about the sitter.

Here is a diagram of the structure of early cased photos, including ambrotypes. An ambrotype would be an image on glass, in the position where the diagram indicates a daguerreotype -

[​IMG]
    https://www.nedcc.org/about/nedcc-stories/dolley-madison-daguerreotype

The photograph is an assemblage of several layers, held together by a metal frame - the "preserver" - that wraps around the layers. This sandwich is simply press fitted into the case. If you have a very thin tool or spatula, you may be able to carefully insert it between the preserver and the red fabric lining of the case, and pop the whole sandwich out of the case. You don't want to unwrap the preserver, or otherwise disturb the layers of the sandwich.

If you don't find any information there (or don't feel safe to remove it from its case) @Debora might have suggestions as to resources for identifying him via military records.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and Marote like this.
  18. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

19. shamster

Thank you! I have taken out the whole thing but unfortunately nothing was found there.:( Still thanks for the detailed instructions

2manybooks likes this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Cap for comparison.

Debora

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted