Featured Antique "Butter Rolling Pins"?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by MacMorrighan, Jul 24, 2017.

1. MacMorrighan

MacMorrighan Active Member

Hey guys, I was flipping through an old Pennsylvania Dutch Cookbook from 1964, which includes some gorgeous photos of vintage kitchenware! One of the items, which I snapped a photo of, is a "butter rolling pin" that was used to work out the buttermilk from freshly churned butter. I have never heard of nor seen such an implement before; I was wondering if anyone else has seen such a devise before? I'd sure love to add one to my collection!

FSCN7269.jpg

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    We always just used a cut off broomstick handle.
    greg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How odd! Never heard of it either.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

No wonder nobody has seen them. After a wood carver made that one he probably said "The heck with making anymore of those - that thing drove me to drink trying to line up them spiral cuts" :stop:

5. toomanytocount

toomanytocount Boredom is a sin.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

As I am often a skeptical soul, especially with old publications, wonder if they got the wrong illustration for this description or vice versa, does not make sense to me....hum......maybe this was a special antique roller for a fancy pastry dough dessert???

Christmasjoy, pearlsnblume and Rayo56 like this.
  6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Interesting point - really, why not just wrap the butter in cloth after churning and hang it to drain? That's all we ever did.

Christmasjoy and toomanytocount like this.
  7. MacMorrighan

LOL! I can well imagine.

8. MacMorrighan

True, though I've always had an appreciation for kitchenware that is both beautiful and unique. This is something that I'd actually like to research, now. Pity that Google has been of no avail. :p

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. toomanytocount

toomanytocount Boredom is a sin.

Try Dutch google and a translator tool.....:happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted