Featured Antique Bronze African Ashanti Bowl

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kraftblue, Aug 30, 2022.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Bought a bronze bowl that probably dates early 20th century. Has a nice patina and some green inside the bowl. Do I leave or clean the green?

bronze1.JPG bronze2.JPG brone3.JPG brone4.JPG bronze5.JPG bronze6.JPG bronze7.JPG bronze8.JPG bronze9.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Clean it.:)

BoudiccaJones, judy and kyratango like this.
  3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Leave it 'zactly as-is, imho. Whatever would remove the verdigris would also alter the surface, degrading the beauty...not to mention value.

Perfectly lovely bit of bronze, kraft blue...Thanks!

judy likes this.
  4. kraftblue

Thank you Any and Wlwhittier.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

The problem with verdigris is that it eats away at the metal. It isn't patina, it is like rust. Removing it will have no influence on any patina.

When you take the verdigris off it will probably leave dark spots, but that doesn't matter in a piece like this.

6. kraftblue

Thanks Any. Will work on it.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Vinegar on the verdigris. Leave the rest alone.

BoudiccaJones, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

You can also try ketchup, that is easier to keep on one spot. Wash it with gentle handsoap afterwards to get rid of the acid ketchup (or vinegar).

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  9. kraftblue

This looks somewhat better
    bronze4.JPG

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm not keen on ketchup or even brown sauce. The food colourants can linger.

judy likes this.
  11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

cxgirl, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  12. kraftblue

2many. I did google lens search. I did see the India on Etsy, also saw others stating Africa.

13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I would be best to find information independent of selling sites. Sites like Etsy and eboo don't police their listings so a seller can call an item anything they want :confused:

14. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I agree that ebay and etsy are not the most reliable sources. However, I am familiar with other Dhokra lost wax casting and have a similar bowl myself. It is proving surprisingly difficult to find a more authoritative source that includes illustrations. The more decorative figures are easy to find. These more utilitarian measuring bowls are discussed, but not pictured.

..."the original Dhokra repertoire, which is simple and stark in keeping with the makers’ life style and philosophy. This repertoire includes lid-less measuring bowls called Kunke or Pa’ila. In Jabardah, the Jadu Patuas make them for their own use as well as for their Santhal clientele. Elsewhere the craftsmens make them for themselves and souvenir buyers."
    https://rajeshkochhar.com/dhokra-lost-wax-metal-casting-craft-in-eastern-india/

This version of Rajesh Kochar's article includes a small picture of the bowls, which were made in graduated sizes which could be stacked:
    http://www.chitrolekha.com/V1/n2/02_Dhokra_Bankura_Rajesh_kochhar.pdf

The Dhokra metalwork is made using lost wax casting, a method also used by West African artisans. So there are some similarities in appearance.

cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I agree. I already thought there was something 'off' about an Ashanti/Akan atribution, but couldn't put my finger on it.
    To think that my parents had one of these dhokra bowls as well.:rolleyes:

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted