Antique Brass Trays, Syria?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by ascot, Jan 30, 2024.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

My late husband's family was Lebanese, though I know his grandparents were born late 1890s in Syria, which later became Lebanon. I believe these trays came over to the US with them. I just remembered that I had them stashed away in a drawer.

I realize from a recent post here that the writing on them is likely religious and archaic but I'm wondering if the patterns have any significance. I'm also curious about the small one that appears to have something like the Star of David on it with a male figure in the center and some odd looking figures in the surrounding area.

I apologize for the lousy color of the photos. My phone camera turns them weird colors when I try to get close-ups, but they're all a nice patinated brass with a few age spots.

Thanks for your help! Janice

#1 is the one with the Star of David and male figure on it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 has what I think is a floral pattern:

[​IMG]

#3 is a large rectangular tray with lots of motifs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are beautiful, ascot.
    They are antique, so that is probably right.
    It could be meant as a star too. Islamic cultures use a lot of stars because it is one of the symbols of Islam. Stars help to ascertain the right dates for fasting and festivals etc.

Although the Star of David is also used in Islam, I think the first one could be a Jewish plate. There were many Jewish people in Syria, and there are still some Jewish communities, although most Syrian Jews went to Israel.

Bronwen likes this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Those symbols have appeared on Moroccan coins for centuries.

combined343764.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-30 195113.png

Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
  4. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thank you so much!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree the first is Jewish, as Muslims do not depict the human form in their art.

komokwa likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what's wrong with the human figure at the Botton left..?