Featured Antique Brass Crown??

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by ladymoonvtg, Aug 31, 2019.

1. ladymoonvtg

ladymoonvtg Sarah M

new member here! Picked up this gorgeous brass crown from an antique shop yesterday (I went back for it after talking about it for 3 days, seriously!) but can’t for the life of me figure out if it is
    a.) actually a crown
    b.) the time period it’s from
    c.) it’s a big mystery!!
    Who can help me identify!?
    There are no makers marks or stamps to clue me in on who made it. There is a little join line in the brass, but it’s a heavy and solid piece. Maybe it’s a kerosene lamp piece? But I’m not convinced. No screws or anything holding it together.
    I cleaned the outside but haven’t cleaned the inside of it yet. It’s a really beautiful piece. Adding pics. crown1.jpg crown3.jpg crown2.jpg

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like a crown from a lighting fixture. It looks great as a crown for your head. I would not bother trying to figure it out just use it as a crown.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

3. ladymoonvtg

ladymoonvtg Sarah M

Thanks greg! I love love love finding out as much as possible about all these old pieces- but youre right, it does look pretty great as a crown for wearing! My partner & I are putting together a brass collection for a contemporary photoshoot featuring all vintage & antique pieces :happy: I thought this was too good to pass up- I mean look at the shine!

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Greg is probably right about it being a component for making something not normally worn, but, when you're done with your photo shoot, you could probably sell it to the SCA crowd. (Just don't tell them!)

This is really intriguing. Any more you can tell us about it?

5. ladymoonvtg

ladymoonvtg Sarah M

How cool the details put into things like this that might have been for a light fixture- I was a little hoping for another rabbit hole I could dive into about the "crown" that I could get lost in the internet for hours in. Alas! However, it will work beautifully for the photos.

Bronwen, If you've seen newer fashion editorials I am thinking to compose it all in a similar vein. Focusing heavily on color, shape, photographic composition and angles. Movement of fabric or reflection will come into play as well. We are really in the beginning stages of this but super excited. I am hoping to put it together almost in "lookbook" style, with a brass collection, lace, colored glass, and etc. I am thinking to perhaps highlight the "sustainable fashion revolution" and show that you can create beautiful looks and even larger fashion shoots without having to buy into big consumer fashion. I'm sure the project will morph over time but that's the beginning idea!

Jivvy, i need help, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  6. Bronwen

To use an old fashioned word, I'm pretty much of a fuddy-duddy when it comes to things like modern fashion shoots (if you keep hanging out here, you may come to realize they are about 2,000 years ahead of my time), but you've described it well & think I have a fair idea of what you mean. Sounds in some ways like changes I've noticed about the way better made television shows are photographed, with interesting angles, reflections, views through other things, etc. It's also a little like what I try to do with my display cabinet, cluster disparate things that echo each other:

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/cameos-show-tell-or-ask-answer.23493/page-136#post-868529

From the title alone, thought perhaps item would turn out to be one of the crowns sometimes used on statues in churches, have seen those for sale from time to time. Then saw the construction & decided against.

kyratango and i need help like this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

0A46B781-8862-4AB0-87D0-4E4A79C37CB2.jpeg Would make a sweet vanity tray, if a mirror could fit, but wearing it works well too. :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think it looks best when you wear it.
    SCA, Svenska Cellulosa AB?:confused: The Swedish timber company?:confused::confused:
    They would probably turn it into this kind of thing, a st Lucia crown:
    [​IMG]

Jivvy, sabre123, Sandra and 2 others like this.
  9. Bronwen

Society for Creative Anachronism. :)

Jivvy, lvetterli, i need help and 2 others like this.
  10. Bronwen

I'm liking this suggestion even more than lamp part. :)

yourturntoloveit and i need help like this.
  11. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Not that it matters after hearing the plans that you and your partner have for the photo shoot, but it could be part of a parlor lamp that suspends the shade. Would have a spider tripod holding it up (but the flare kind of throws this idea off):

[​IMG]

12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

My 1st thought was a tray missing the inset. I totally agree your pulling off the crown thing beautifully . :)

13. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Whatever this piece was before, its destiny was CROWN.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Any Jewelry, sabre123 and Bronwen like this.
  14. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Ya, definitely!

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I agree with you and the others that it makes a good crown, but I like the idea of vanity tray.

I had this piece:
    z Opalescent Opaline French White Pressed Glass Tumbler Cup Bronze Mount -a.jpg

z Opalescent Opaline French White Pressed Glass Tumbler Cup Bronze Mount -b.jpg

I believe it was part of a larger set and as such would have had a matching tray on which to sit with the other pieces.

If that is the case, you would be looking at your piece upside down.

The biggest factor working against that (to my mind) is that while my cup had pillow feet, your crown would have a whole lot of points coming in contact with a table surface.

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My money is on it missing a glass insert or a mirror.

Bronwen likes this.
  17. ladymoonvtg

ladymoonvtg Sarah M

Wow, I love how this could have been many things before it arrived to be a crown for me! I’m excited for it to complete whichever “look” my partner & I put together.
    Also this community here blows me away you all are lovely!
    maybe I will run into some of you if I can make it to brimfield :happy:

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Will you be able to show us something of the photoshoot or is it top secret?:peeking::shifty:

19. ladymoonvtg

ladymoonvtg Sarah M

I'll definitely share some progress as the project gets along! :happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted