Antique Bergere Armchair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Niczn, Oct 15, 2023.

1. Niczn

Niczn Member

I have recently taken ownership of one of these chairs. I know it is from the 1910-1920s however I would like more information about its general history and where it was made and potentially even the designer.

If anyone knows more about this particular design, please educate me!

Attached Files:

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Beautiful chair!!!

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Odd chair..... Louis XV meets Chippendale. Mix of styles could fit with the time frame provided but I would not have guessed that old based on exellent condition. I take it that this was completely refurbished at some point? Would guess European in origin. Wood is possibly beech or maybe a fruitwood.

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Appears to be double-caned. Don't see that very often. Makes one think of warmed climates (while the upholstery makes one think of cooler.)

Debora

6. Niczn

Niczn Member

Only just seen this response! the condition is flawless which i absolutely incredible given it's history and age. The previous owner told me it was over 100 years old as his great grandfather had owned it and passed it down through the family.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice chair! I'd guess that some work has been done to it through the years. The upholstery colors don't seem to go well with the wood color, for one thing. But I like the chair overall. It is interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted