Featured Antique Bathroom Stuff :)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

For absolutely no other reason than I bought it today, I wanted to show off something...

[​IMG]

Today, I bought the little, square ceramic toothpaste pot on the right at the local flea-market, from a man who collects antique bottles and jars. It's in almost perfect shop-new condition! I cleaned it and immediately filled it with mint toothpaste :)

[​IMG]

Here it is with a more conventional round one. I have seen others which are also rectangular...I'd like one of those, too :p If I ever get my hands on an antique shaving-soap pot, I'd be over the moon :p

The other items in the main photo are an antique razor-sharpener, two antique razors (one ivory, from the 1880s), and one vintage shaving scuttle. The brush and stand I purchased brand-new, for health-and-hygiene reasons and whatnot. Everything else is vintage/antique.

I must say, brushing one's teeth with your toothpaste decanted into such a cute little pot is a lot of fun. I dunno why, it just is. I guess it's true. You enjoy your work better if you have nice things to work with...

Anyone know how old the two toothpaste pots are? I know they're Victorian, but that's it!

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Those are two of the most attractive and cool little items I've seen in a long time.
    I'm off to go Google. I know you can do that yourself but it's fun!

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Aquitaine and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. Ladybranch

According to an ad in the For 1880 Doidge's West Counties Illustrated Annual of Miscellany of Useful, Instructive...., Woods had a variety of miracle/quack cures. Here he (W. Woods a chemist in Plymouth) is advertising:
    1. Save your hair cream
    2. Dandriff Pomade
    3. Areca nut toothpaste that whitens and save teeth.
    4. Cough syrup

Do note the toothpaste is being sold in a pot in 1880. Page 190:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=X...VolVQKHajlDgs4ChDoAQhDMAM#v=onepage&q&f=false

--- Susan

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. Shangas

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  6. Ladybranch

7. Shangas

The dates I'm finding are very very spotty. That's why I wanted to post here. I thought maybe someone who collects antique jars and bottles might know more (?)

All I can say with confidence is that it's Victorian, but WHEN Victorian, I wouldn't know. Right now I'm going with 1900-ish.

8. Ladybranch

The Kovels website (beware of Kovels info for there are many many errors in their books) says "transfer-printed pot lids had their heyday from the 1840s to the early 1900s." Nowww the question is just when did Woods really start selling his areca nut toothpaste. There are *many* of Woods ceramic lids as well as the complete pots for this toothpaste online with many of them calling them rare. If I had to guess, I would say this pot is not much older then the 1880s if that old because I haven't been able to find any advertising of his products before 1880. Have now found his ads in other 1880s publications.

https://www.kovels.com/price-guide/advertising-store-collectibles-price-guide/potlids.html

--- Susan

9. Ladybranch

10. Shangas

LOL I have no interest in the lids unless they come with their bottom halves as well!!

11. Shangas

Putting the pot to good use...

[​IMG]

It holds a surprisingly large amount of toothpaste!!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted