Featured Antique Austrian Garnet Set

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I saw an incredible demi-parure set at a weekly antique market, and I'm thinking about buying it if it's still there next week. I have no pictures, but it consisted of a bracelet, a pendant necklace, and a ring, with a similar style to the bracelet below. The total price was 175 Euros, but I can probably haggle it down to 160 or 150. Do you think that it would be a good investment, or that it's a good price?
    s-l1600 (3).jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Difficult to say without seeing the set, does it have as much silver as the bracelet? If so, I'd say yes to 150 euros for the set.
    It is a gorgeous style, I love it too. They are still making similar jewellery in Austria, btw. This bracelet is probably mid century.
    You can google Trachtenschmuck (I know:rolleyes: ), and look at the prices.

We're having an Austro-Hungarian day, aren't we?:happy:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  3. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

yes. It's mainly silver, but with gilded centers around the garnets. I'll probably go back there next week, and if it's still there, make my decision. :)

Your thread inspired me to post this.

4. Any Jewelry

Classic Austrian, with gilding or even gold around the garnets. Bavarians do that too sometimes.
    Those gilded garnet settings are traditionally made separately and attached to the silver with little fold-over clamps at the back. Nice combined artisan work.

komokwa, judy, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Not an expert in these, but any markings on the pieces at all? Also is that box supposed to be original to the pieces, and if yes is the rest of the set inside it?

If you are buying for possible resale, would be nice if it had some marks. (Buyers like marks.)

Best of luck whatever you decide.

EDIT: Now see that this isn't the bracelet, but "similar". So disregard my question about the box.

6. Any Jewelry

A lot of antique or vintage Austrian jewellery is not marked, sadly. Most of it is .800 or .835 silver. European buyers usually know this, collectors outside Europe do too.

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

That makes sense about lack of marks. Thanks.

Since we aren't looking at the actual pieces though, and completely unmarked, if it was me, I'd spend a few hours looking at comparable vintage garnet Austrian parures online for sold prices, just to get calibrated.

Best of luck. :)

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's good advice. Find completed sales on line and see what they're going for.

9. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

peruzzi makes some amazing pieces similar to the one pictured. Try going threw some pictures for comparison.

Draft saved Draft deleted