Antique Asian/Chinese/Japanese 10" Bowl human Body Dragon Face

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by antiquelover69, Dec 6, 2023.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

I had this on the forum about 1 year or more. plus other sites, nobody know anything about it.Never found out what this bowl is or the maker.I didn't want to try to sell it if I have no idea what it is.Anybody have any idea.Measure 10" wide and about 3"tall. SAM_4138.jpeg SAM_4138.jpeg SAM_4143.jpeg SAM_4148.jpeg SAM_4145.jpeg SAM_4140.jpeg SAM_4139.jpeg

aaroncab likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

where's the other thread..?

antiquelover69 likes this.
  3. antiquelover69

July 22,2022

4. komokwa

if u post a link, we could refresh our memory of what was already said.....:happy:

5. antiquelover69

I don't know how to really post the link, but it's on this forum for July 22,2022.

6. komokwa

highlight the title with your cursor.....left click on it.....copy & paste here..

7. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Given the decoration it's almost certainly Chinese. The crazing looks manufactured and the base is probably intentionally blackened with tea liquor from the looks. All points to a 3rd quarter of the 20th century piece.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Certainly does look new-ish.

Debora

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I thought the design elements looked like they were copying Chinese design -- the clouds look like noodles really and the dragons are certainly atypical. Perhaps another southeast Asian country copying a Chinese design? I don't really know enough about this subject, but it's just what occurred to me. I agree that it's fairly recent production.

11. antiquelover69

Thanks you all,I know it's at least 20-30 years old.I've had it for many years in my attic.The storage I brought at auction had a lot of strange looking items.Thanks again

12. gckimm

gckimm Active Member

Hi:

This item is a real mystery. It appears to be Chinese but the figures decorating it do not look like any traditional creature, such as the Chinese unicorn (qilin). There is in Chinese mythology a pig-like creature named Zhu Bajie, a.k.a. "Pigsy," but he is known as a glutton and is pictured as more rotund than the figure on the dish. In Hinduism there is a god named Varaha who has the form of a boar but I could not tell you if he is represented here. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Greg

kentworld, antiquelover69 and komokwa like this.
  13. antiquelover69

You have being a great help.I never thought of looking for Hindu gods and goddesses.This is what I found,a boar's head and woman body. Varahi (Sanskrit: वाराही, Vārāhī) is one of the Matrikas, a group of seven mother goddesses in the Hindu religion. Bearing the head of a sow, Varahi is the shakti (feminine energy) of Varaha, the boar avatar of the god Vishnu. In Nepal, she is called Barahi. In Rajasthan and Gujarat, thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted