Antique Alphonse Mucha - looking print, but with 2nd small print in bottom corner?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 15, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at a thrift store - I think it's old, and it's definitely unusual because it has a small 2nd print in the lower left corner with 5/25 (there is also another pencil signature above that but it was too faint to get a photo of with the glass cover.
    Has anyone seen anything like this with a 2nd little print?
    Any idea of it's age?
    Most importantly can anyone tell who the artist is by the signature? (The pencil one is the same name - it looked like Richy or Ricky for the last name? But faintness and glass made it hard to get a good photo)
    Any help with the artist would be greatly appreciated - I want to know what I found!
    Thank you!

ART PRINT ANTIQUE NUDE 2 WOMEN 1AA.jpg ART PRINT ANTIQUE NUDE 2 WOMEN 1AAA RESIZED.jpg ART PRINT ANTIQUE NUDE 2 WOMEN 1A_AA.jpg ART PRINT ANTIQUE NUDE 2 WOMEN 1AAA CLOSE UP RESIZED.jpg ART PRINT ANTIQUE NUDE 2 WOMEN 1AAA.jpg ART PRINT ANTIQUE NUDE 2 WOMEN 3AA.jpg ART PRINT ANTIQUE NUDE 2 WOMEN 3AAA RESIZED.jpg ART PRINT ANTIQUE NUDE 2 WOMEN 5AA.jpg ART PRINT ANTIQUE NUDE 2 WOMEN 8AA.jpg

silverbell and Bronwen like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see an Alphonse Mucha like image here. More fine art, less graphic poster image.

3. journeymagazine

That's what it reminded me of.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Much looser than Mucha's work which is highly stylized. An interesting piece though. Looks much older in style than the signature. And the frame, of course, is newer too.

Debora

L-114-Reverie-1897.jpg

all_fakes and Bakersgma like this.
  5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Really nice piece Journey,I have seen those little vignettes before-some artists actually add them by hand in watercolor,pen & ink,pencil as a little extra 'goodie' for the client.
    You might look at it with a really good loupe and check to see what kind of 'grain' (texture pattern) the print has.Is the image composed of tiny,evenly spaced uniform dots,or does it have a varied grain pattern (like drawing with a crayola on a finely textured stone surface). Are any parts of the image rendered with fine lines (like a pen & ink or Washington's face on a dollar bill-that's etched/engraved).
    Good find buddy,if the edition says '5/25' that a very low pull/run of prints.This guy know how to draw,don't think it's Mucha though-even his loosest gestural sketches showed incredible mastery,but who knows could have been some weird experimental piece,but i still think he would have signed it. Mucha Sig 2.jpg

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It's not just you.
    Agree. Both are good quality, done by an experienced hand, but nothing to do with Mucha.

Bakersgma and reader like this.
  7. journeymagazine

I know it's not Mucha! I apologize, I should have said Mucha-ess (it was just my first thought when I saw it & didn't know who else to compare it to - sorry)

8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

learning's all about the journey Journey.

Draft saved Draft deleted