Ansonia Mantle Clock - help identify model & age

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by AntiqueFinds, Aug 14, 2018.

1. AntiqueFinds

AntiqueFinds Member

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. I need to determine the year this clock was manufactured and the model or model number? It's marked Ansonia Clock Co. New York.

Thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  2. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Cast iron models became popular in the 1880 through 1900. This ones a bit rough, but generally they can be adjusted/repaired and run for ever.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I agree it is about 1900.You might be able to find a model name from an old catalogue or a reference book but it is really immaterial, as far as I know no one searches for these clocks by model name, the general description is all that matters.

4. AntiqueFinds

AntiqueFinds Member

Thank you both, for the feedback. Would anyone happen to know the value of this particular clock and would it be desirable to collectors in its current state?

5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Ansonia made some nice iron clocks - I've seen similar models $150 - $250. Unfortunately the condition of the case on this will cut value in half - clock collectors look for examples in nice shape. Production of clocks was very high in this country....every house had at least one - so they are not rarities. Check selling prices on Ebay for reference.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    At least they are easy to take apart and repaint after sanding. The feet have lots of places to find replacements if you do not want to sand them and re gild them. Soak the innards over night in kerosene, the dirt should slide off. Or you can find someone to do the work for you, probably run a 100 bucks for so. I used to do a lot of them. I would buy them for 20 to 25 dollars and resell them for 200 to 300. As Drew stated they are very common and usually just need a good cleaning to make them serviceable.
    greg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted