Another "what is this wooden item" Art supplies?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Jen and George, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

This wooden frame thingie has a label on one end which reads Becker Made in Sweden. We honestly don't have a clue as to what it is but we thought it might be something an artist would use because it was with an old portable easel. It is approximately 24 and 3/4" long. 10" high at the short end and 12" at the taller end. It is 3 and 1/4" wide. The section made of the 3 wood strips is 4 and 3/4".
    I'm sure someone on here will know what this is so I am saying "Thank you" now.

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

One of those copying things. Changes the scale. Can't remember the blasted name.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

5. Jen and George

I knew you would know. Messi-I googled it and didn't come up with anything. Now we will have to see if they sell.

Thanks all.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't see how that would work as a pantograph.

I was thinking maybe a caddy for carrying painted canvases or art boards.

7. Jen and George

I know what you mean. But I am not familiar with any of the tools an artist would use.
    I thought it might be for carrying something, too, because of the handle on one end.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Well let's analyze it. Handle lets you carry the flat thing you clamp in the two jaws using the wing nuts. It lets you carry a wet painting on board without touching any part of the painted side. So there!

9. Jen and George

Now that makes sense. Thank you.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Nordic artists sound so silly. Pantagraphs are cheating. Mexicans carry anything and everything in garbage bags, and no Latin artist would ever need to move a wet painting. Sot it is written, so let it be done (an equal opportunity cinematography major reference, no Mexican connection).

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Canadian artists, like Tom Thompson, did small sketches 'en plein air' as aide memoires for larger studio works. The sketches are frequently more interesting than the finished works (IMO). They did these sketches on small panels - cigar box lids sometimes - and stored the wet panels stacked and separated by match sticks. When you see those panels you can spot the mashed areas that were flattened in the stacking.

Jen and George and komokwa like this.
  12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Draft saved Draft deleted