Another Snookered purchased?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by laura9797, Sep 7, 2024.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

When I first saw this Chippendale style low table, I thought it was really cute and the claws on the ball feet were nicely done. I have seen a few English pieces that had the intent to fool - hardware from 18th/19th century, old nails etc but after really examining the piece, it does appear to be newer with old construction. I opened both drawers on this piece and the pulls are mounted with snipe hardware that you would see for hinges and there is no patina or oxidation on the metal? There was some work in the feather banded top which I thought might be walnut but could be mahogany I guess. There are no dust boards? I was kind of amazed by that. The drawer bases appear to be newer wood but then you look at the at the top of the legs and they look they were worked by hand. I feel like this is such a lovely little drop leaf table and had to be done by someone who knew what they were doing? I always get in trouble going down these rabbit holes because of how this piece was represented as antique when it is likely 'vintage' - or am I wrong? Thoughts? Approx. height 22.12 in., width close drops 25.5 in., width open 37.5 in., depth 16.87 in. IMG_9126.JPG IMG_9127.JPG IMG_9130.JPG IMG_9131.JPG IMG_9132.JPG IMG_9133.JPG IMG_9136.JPG IMG_9137.JPG

Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think you are right. Kind of hard to get the context of some of your photos but the use of plywood (drawer bottom?) would indicate newer. Seems to be a good quality piece. Agree with walnut being the wood for the top veneer. Hard saying where this was made. All I can say is that it is not American. Could be English with that oak secondary wood for the drawers. Would not be surprised if at least the carved legs weren't imported from elsewhere.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2024
  3. laura9797

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it''s still a nice table...:happy:

laura9797 and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I dont think the drawer handles are ours.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What does snookered mean in this context?

laura9797 and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Taken advantage of Id think.

laura9797 likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Snookered - essentially defrauded, hoodwinked, suckered, etc

In this case it looks like a high quality modern piece made in the old style, but not really out to fool anyone. I don't see any age on this at all.

Bakersgma likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

10. laura9797

Yes aside from the top showing a bit of wear I agree but in the owner's notes, she described it as antique $$$$ along with dining table and chairs 19th century purchased from Sloans in New York (before the merger with Kenyon)

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

W & J Sloane's did sell reproductions.

Debora

Figtree3 and Lucille.b like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It is attractive -- did you purchase this, @laura9797 ? I couldn't tell for certain from your post, except the title of the thread.

13. laura9797

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

DANG wish I'd been to that one instead of what I found. Or what I didn't find, more to the point.

laura9797 likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Draft saved Draft deleted