Featured Another Signature Mystery on Early 20th C Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by laura9797, Jun 11, 2023.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I purchased this painting at an auction house I used to catalogue for in Atlanta back in 2016. The signature is faint and there are some condition issues as well as repairs. I think it could be around 1910/20's - possibly earlier but not sure. I found it to be charming with the little birds. I found a pair of paintings on eBay that were so similar by Laura Coombs Hills. I do not believe this is the artist though I would love that!
    Framed approximately 46.75" x 23.5". Unframed approximately 41.25" x 17.5".
    Thank you for looking! IMG_9730.jpg
    IMG_9731.jpg IMG_9733.jpg IMG_9734.jpg IMG_9739.JPG IMG_9740.JPG IMG_9736.jpg SIGMAGPAINTING.jpg IMG_9730.jpg IMG_9731.jpg IMG_9733.jpg IMG_9734.jpg IMG_9739.JPG IMG_9740.JPG IMG_9736.jpg SIGMAGPAINTING.jpg

2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

It's beautiful!
    I'm no expert, but the brambles and Asian aesthetic make think 1880s...maybe

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think older. Those corner brackets on the back should have an 1800s patent date on them. Used on in to the 20th century so would say circa 1900. As for signature, just a guess as it is pretty impossible.. I see N. Mc Keer or similar.

4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@laura9797, It IS beautiful!!! There MIGHT, only MIGHT be some writing in that LOWER RIGHT corner, partially hidden by the frame.....I lightened that area a bit and might be seeing that where I've circled.....otherwise tried to enhance the "chicken scratch" I'm seeing above....."possibly" a partial date, but really couldn't pull anything definitive out......sorry! IF you're POSITIVE it's an oil painting, and you're brave, you could try a bit of spittle on a q-tip to see if you can clean it a bit down in the corner if the painting looks dirty.....or wait for other opinions/suggestions........

IMG_9734-test-gigapixel-lines-scale-3_00x.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
    pearlsnblume and wlwhittier like this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Very nice painting.Looks finely done. Also looks quite old and
    dirty/dusty.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think it was a hobbyist who painted this. People did a lot of crafts before radio and television. Its very sweet,but indeed filthy. Cleaning it will cost a lot,so it would be for your enjoyment only as i doubt the painting itself is worth much.Just my opinion.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

You get some nice pieces down in Atlanta,def got the history ! If it's an oil painting-I'd do some careful research re light,non-intrusive surface cleaning to illuminate that signature.

9. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Looks like it could be Di something. Italian maybe?

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My daughter lives in Atlanta and there used to be a terrific antique store in East Atlanta Village that we visited every time I went down. I was sorry to see it close.

laura9797 likes this.
  11. laura9797

Corner blocks are patent stamped for 1885 IMG_9752.jpg

12. laura9797

I have used saliva to clean paintings before - I will give it a shot and blacklight it again when the sun goes down to see if I can pull it out or see additional writing. Thank you!

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

14. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Between NOLA & Hotlanta you've got some good picking country.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  15. boycemuske87

boycemuske87 New Member

wow

Draft saved Draft deleted