Another one of those wall plaques - but this isn't made of plaster

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brian Warshaw, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Hello, and a my best wishes for a Happy, Healthy and Peaceful 2021 to you all.

I bought this wall plaque with a view to it being hung in a gite. It only cost me €1. So I just looked at with a view to the impression it gave. Now I am framing it (at least three years later) I am surprised at the degree of detail, and wonder how it was produced, and when.

I think it is made of resin, when tapped with a fingernail there is a dull response. The mould would have needed to be flexible or something like the lost-wax process, as there are thin edges, and delicate patterns. I don't know how easy it will be see but in particular the sculturer's dress, apron and hair, the cushion on the stool, and the tableau on the wall. I don't know the period of her clothes (this is France).

The final photo, does, I think, have some writing that I cannot distinguish. The whole floor looks as if it has been written on, perhaps it was part of a spy network.

Any of your thought would be welcomed; thank you.

DSCF5706 lowres.jpg DSCF5713lowres.jpg DSCF5714lowres.jpg DSCF5720lowres.jpg DSCF5707lowres.jpg DSCF5711lowres.jpg

2. Brian Warshaw

It measures: 14.7cm x 20cm x 13mm at it's thickest down to 9mm over most of it.
    It weighs 435g, isn't that a bit high for resin?

ulilwitch likes this.
  3. Brian Warshaw

I've just tried a wet cotton bud on the black paint on the back, and all that came off was a little dirt. I assume that it must have been hand painted? With wat paint?

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is the material soft? Can you scratch it with your finger? It might be bee's wax. Bee's wax wall plaques were made as air fresheners.

Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I’m not seeing anything that looks like a signature yet (which doesn’t mean there’s not one there somewhere maybe!), but did you go around all 4 of the edges???

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  6. Brian Warshaw

No. It is solid and hard. Can one paint bees wax?

7. Brian Warshaw

I hadn't. Must remember edges in the future. But no, theree is nothing written or stamped an any of them.

8. Brian Warshaw

@Aquitaine Where I can see writing is on the final photo; the bottom and penultimate row of tiles; the three plus a bit tiles from the rhs. Could all be becausee I want to see something, rather than reality.

9. Aquitaine

On closer examination, at the bottom, in her ‘dress’ sideways, and have circled what “COULD” be a signature, and underlined what I see as indistinct writing.....but am not sure we’ll ever make anything more out of it..... @i need help????

HA!!! It also helps if I post what I’m talking about!!!!!!! SORRY!!!!:joyful::rolleyes:

8FF82ECE-2023-4C6E-BF66-42A243DF9F6A.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    i need help likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

My underlining in the left am guessing part of it says Something “of 2” and on the right almost looks like a date, but can’t be sure......

i need help likes this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

926B137E-10CE-4B7F-8013-2465ABDC9F31.jpeg Sorry, I was looking here, I thought about 5 letters ending in “ss”

Brian Warshaw likes this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

This is a little wax angel ornament I have had for over 30 years. She's a little worse for wear but I still love her and hang her on our tree every year!

WaxAngel.jpg

Brian Warshaw likes this.
  13. Brian Warshaw

You're right, but I don't think anything can really be decyphered. The date looks like 1901, however the 1 could be a French 7, as it looks like a bar on the 1. I can see that on your photo but not on the original. The lighting in old French houses is not good. The windows are put in for heat preservation rather than light.

How would 1901/7 fit in with her dress and hair style?

14. Brian Warshaw

I can see £2 in the top rh corner. Where you see a five letter word ending in SS, I see £2 * £30.

i need help likes this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Very hard to make much out.

Along another route, you may find it was after a painting, maybe someone can find that?

What country did you find it?

Draft saved Draft deleted