Another "is this delfts" thread

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Nov 5, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

6" tall - dare I ask? Possibly delfts? If not - where from? And - what's it for? Sprinkler of some sort? I promise not to make any more delfts threads for a good long time :)

~

36853886383_13b171cefb_k.jpg 36853878413_0303b8285f_k.jpg 36853889433_d1ccbd6c98_k.jpg 36853893443_3997597ac2_k.jpg 36853899503_efad205d48_k.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Vinegar bottle?

judy likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Mexican?

judy likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Apart from being mainly blue & white, it does not really look like Delft. Mexican is a reasonable line of inquiry.

You would need a funnel with a very small neck to fill this with anything. Odd. But we do odd here.

judy, yourturntoloveit and aaroncab like this.
  5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I was also thinking maybe italy...but what's it for? Being so hard to fill I wouldn't think it's for vinegar? The hole is even smaller than it looks in the pictures, as the picture looks a little larger than real life.

6. Bronwen

It's the small hole that suggests it's for dispensing something you do not want to have come out too fast or too copiously. Hole does not look scuffed, but possible this had a metal spout to control flow even more. Not a vase & not just an objet d'art; doesn't leave many other possibilities.

judy, yourturntoloveit and aaroncab like this.
  7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

How do you get the stuff you don't want to come out too fast actually in there in the first place?

judy and aaroncab like this.
  8. Aec1985

Aec1985 Member

I have a piece (milk warming pan) with very similar design style and it's marked on the base as "Talavera" pottery. I like your item a lot, it's a nice and tasteful example imo

Here's an example
    Screenshot_2017-11-05-22-45-09.png

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    judy and aaroncab like this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Agreed SIS - a sprinkler. The only one I found with that bulb on the top was a 19th century Iranian design.

007-bbd8ae1.jpg

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree.
    It could be from Iznik, Turkey.
    Here is an Iranian one with an even more bulbous top than the one Bev showed:
    [​IMG]

Blue and white ceramics are originally Middle Eastern. The style was introduced to China by Persian traders (Silk Road). The Chinese imported cobalt from Iran to re-create Islamic pottery styles in porcelain. The Dutch didn't have kaolin earth, so no porcelain, they copied Chinese styles in pottery, in Delft and other places.
    Mexican Talavera was started potters from Talavera, Spain. It is based on Spanish Talavera ware, which was originally Moorish pottery, which again was a geographic and stylisic extension of pottery from the Middle East.

aaroncab, Bakersgma and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted