Featured Another Houston Chest

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by mark737, Oct 26, 2021.

1. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

Back in Houston for a couple of days so it’s time for another chest. Looks to be Victorian, maybe mid to late 19th century?What type of wood is this?

By the way, the “Frankenstein” chest I posted previously is still available. It dropped to $120 on 9/11 and still no takers. 4F460F35-676F-4BCE-9C6C-D6193649F9AC.jpeg 3713F6FA-413F-40A9-84BF-D2CFA3630DC2.jpeg 165838B0-7A92-423E-9360-3FDB89B79EFC.jpeg FB363A56-8E7D-4C4F-A682-18A2A1D8CD91.jpeg

Firemandk, Lucille.b, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the wood is strange to me............:confused::wacky::wideyed::wideyed:

Lucille.b, SeaGoat, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very strange indeed.

4. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Although newer than the frankenstein desk/chest, it is in much better un-frankensteined condition. This has what looks like original paint and wood pulls, and yes, your date is correct, mid to late 19th century.

Can't tell what type of wood due to the grain painting, though it is probably walnut with pine secondary wood which was used in this style of chest at that time. Paint is meant to look like rosewood probably?

James Conrad says no-one on this forum likes painted furniture, but speaking for myself we actually all DO like painted furniture, as long as it is old and probably original paint like this.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I was wondering about grain painting. Glad I wasn't alone.

Lucille.b, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

The Frankenstein Chest LIVES ON!:singing:
    Not a clue about wood species, looks like grain painted in photos.

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  7. mark737

Thanks for the replies. I know nothing about grain painted furniture so I didn’t even consider that.

Lucille.b, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

The date would be ca. 1860. I've never seen walnut grain painted like this. I suppose it's supposed to resemble....Zebra wood?

Lucille.b, judy and mark737 like this.
  9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

It was last popular all during the 19th C - 1900 or so here in the states, not only furniture but house interior wood trim & doors. Kind of a lost art these days.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    mark737, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  10. mark737

Could be. And I thought parts, like these glovebox sides, looked like Macassar ebony.

glovebox.jpg

11. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

When I recognized this as having been grain painted, I believed rosewood was the most likely option, as I said above. Bear in mind that rosewood was being heavily harvested and used in furniture in the second half of the 19th century, so I still that is the most likely possibility. Even then rosewood was expensive compared to native US woods, so upgrading with paint to look like an expensive imported wood would make sense. (pic from https://www.core77.com/posts/25477/An-Introduction-to-Wood-Species-Part-8-Rosewood)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    verybrad and mark737 like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Fascinating.

Debora

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's odd to see grain painting on a piece made this late, but you never knew what those Victorians would get up to. It looks like it was meant to be walnut but someone got a bright idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted