Featured Another day, another brooch, another question

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by a_la_sevigne, Sep 11, 2024 at 5:36 PM.

?

What Era??

1. Georgian

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Victorian

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Modern remake

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. a_la_sevigne

a_la_sevigne Member

IMG_5797.jpeg IMG_5798.jpeg IMG_5799.jpeg IMG_5805.jpeg Hello all,

I recently picked up this Georgian style brooch online. I’m absolutely obsessed with the fire it possesses but I’m not very knowledgeable on this era. I wondered if you could help me decipher whether this really is Georgian, a Victorian era (G. revival) piece or a modern fake.

The few details I have are that piece is in silver with a gilt backing. All the diamonds are rose cut, with entirely closed backs. It’s 6.7g total weight and 1.5” long.

A lot of work seems to have been done to the back of the brooch. The back looks to me like it might have been en tremblant at some time, but somebody went crazy with solder and everything is fused. I’m also not convinced that the clasp is original.

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Construction and pin and hinge look dead right for Georgian. I think you’re right about the clasp. It’s early twentieth.

I'd suspect this was a much larger more elaborate piece at one time.

3. Ownedbybear

And looking again, I’m wondering if it was once part of a hair ornament.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ya , there was more going on when it began it's life......

but still....very lovely !!!!;):happy::happy:

5. a_la_sevigne

a_la_sevigne Member

Oh very interesting,
    I wonder what it was…

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. a_la_sevigne

a_la_sevigne Member

Do you think that hole in the middle of the stem could’ve involved a hair clip? Hmm interesting.zz

johnnycb09 likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's definitely old and had more than one life. I think it's been repurposed and repaired more than once. Bear knows more about Georgian jewelry than I'll ever learn, I'll go with hair clip too. Ladies had such ornaments .

johnnycb09, kyratango and Ownedbybear like this.
  8. shamster

shamster Well-Known Member

I ‘ve been obsessed with Georgian silver and diamond pieces these days and yours is so pretty! Don’t think it’s reproduction based on the quality of diamonds and gold backing. Btw I won’t call it gilt as the gold in yours is visibly thicker(so you have a solid sheet of gold here) in contrast to some other pieces thinly plated, which makes it more precious! just my personal preference, not sure if there’s any standard term :)

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

10. a_la_sevigne

a_la_sevigne Member

Fair, thanks! There’s so little of it showing/left I wasn’t sure what to call it!

johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

It’s essentially rolled gold, which is a mechanical process as opposed to plating, which is electrolysis.

I saw that hole, it’s one of the things that made me think hair.

johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  12. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

Amazing find!
    Its 19th century, Old Flemish. Silver with gold overlay background, rose cut diamonds set on foil...I have its sister :cat:

komokwa, Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  13. Dessert58

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous, and I'm with Dessert, 19th century. Flemish makes sense, it is more 'dense'. The Dutch made related pieces, but they look more delicate.
    Always love rose cut diamonds, and these look to be good quality.
    Ditto. It is proper gold and proper silver, no gilding, plating, or other doublé-like technique, but made using two metals alongside each other. Silver was used to emphasize the white colour of the diamonds.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2024 at 10:46 AM
    shamster, komokwa and Dessert58 like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

I’d have never guessed Flemish. It’s very like some of our metamorphic Georgian stuff. Lovely thing, anyhow.

RachelW likes this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Oh to find its cousin in a rummage/jumble sale, where nobody knew what it was!

17. a_la_sevigne

a_la_sevigne Member

Oh sweet, thanks @Dessert58
    Did yours also used to be en tremblant? Cause mine most certainly was. And unfortunately somebody went through and soldered it all static.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Dessert58

A-la sevigne: mine unfortunately ist an en tremblant. I m still looking for one of those. I think mine was part of a bigger jewel at some point in time.
    Yours looks like it used to be multi purpose. Like something could be screwed in to put a haircomb in and the brooch-part was detachable.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted