Angels Oil Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Josh, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Oil painting on canvas of 2 Angels from 1978. Was wondering if anyone might know the artist. Signed on the front and the back. Also on the back in the title, size and what I would assume is a gallery inventory number. Thanks

DSCF3438.JPG DSCF3439.JPG DSCF3444.JPG DSCF3445.JPG

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

3. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

evelyb30, I think the last name is Hopkins, but I don't think it is Michael. I took a look at some of his work and the signature does not seem the same.

I was really hoping to find out who the artist was as I purchased a total of 13 of his paintings today. Ten of these larger ovals and three smaller rectangular ones.

DSCF3450.JPG DSCF3453.JPG DSCF3457.JPG DSCF3462.JPG DSCF3467.JPG DSCF3472.JPG DSCF3476.JPG DSCF3483.JPG DSCF3489.JPG

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I couldn't turn up anything, so sorry.
    They are interesting to me!
    Some of the poses and features seem very careless, and yet the anatomy is eye-catching and there's so much movement. And such a dark mood. Leap of Faith? More like "Descent into Hell!"
    I think they would be amazing, hung unframed in a study or den of somebody with spiritual/magical/occult interests. 13 of them, huh?????

5. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I agree with you Gila, there is something about them that is quite eye catching. Although I would not personally hand them in my home. I still think there is something about them that makes you stop and admire them.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

...and not just the naked bits. They are interesting. I don't think the artist was professionally trained.

7. Sparkles0151

Sparkles0151 New Member

They are eye catching, my feeling is they where painted maybe to display in maybe a church/ religious building, just a thought

8. Ilene

Ilene New Member

Have you found anything more? I have just purchased two similar paintings created by the same artist in an antique store in PA. Similar subject, identical signature and remarks on the reverse side...
    Ilene

9. Ilene

Ilene New Member

Where did you buy them? Have you found out anything more?

10. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

The artist's name is Al Hopkins. That is all of the information I have ever found about these. I purchased them at an auction in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I still have the 10 larger oval ones for sale.

Draft saved Draft deleted