Angelica Kauffman miniature plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Vanessa I Lora, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Vanessa I Lora

Vanessa I Lora New Member

C24EB3B6-CC42-4270-B005-B55CC5FD3B70.jpeg C24EB3B6-CC42-4270-B005-B55CC5FD3B70.jpeg Hello, I have this miniature plate among other articles that i inherited from my grandmother. I will like to know what’s the meaning on the back of it and if possible a value. I really appreciate any input. Tks!

judy and komokwa like this.
  2. Vanessa I Lora

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, Vanessa, and welcome!

To me, it looks as if someone made a transfer pattern of Angelika Kauffmann's (1741-1807) 1780 painting Beauty Directed by Prudence, Wreathed by Perfection and put it on a little keepsake dish.
    img0 (5).jpg

ref:
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A.Kauffmann1770.jpg

p.s. I really like the "display gizmo" attached to the back of that plate. I wonder if identifying the stand will help ID the maker of the plate itself?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Kauffman transfer plates are pretty easy to find. I think the only value would be sentimental.

Figtree3, judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It's possible that a Limoges mark is hiding under that sticker on the back but it probably won't make much difference. As Janet noted value is mostly as a keepsake. If you do a search on ebay for "Limoges miniature plate" you'll see a number of Angelica Kauffman examples. Most sell in the $5 - $10 range per plate. You can put together a nice collection fairly cheaply though.
    Don

Figtree3, judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  6. Vanessa I Lora

Thanks a lot for your information....!!!

judy and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted