Andre Ballet Covered Glass Dresser Dish, Finely Detailed & Finished

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, Dec 25, 2023.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

4" diameter, 2 1/2" high; weight is 11 oz.
    Andre Ballet was an Art Deco artisan; 1885 to 1949, I believe.
    I do not recall where or when this was acquired; the attraction, then & now, primarily has to do with the 9 divisions in the design. I'm a sucker for circular objects with an odd number of divisions. I've found over the years that they aren't all that uncommon, an' I have quite a few of 'em.
    Also appealing is that all of the black elements are applied into etched or ground shallow relief on the surface. I have another dish of similar shape, somewhat larger, that has its colors applied superficially, as is the gold on this dish. Further attraction is that the ground surfaces (both rims, an' the base) are fully chamfered an; polished...leaving a very pleasantly smooth experience in the hand. The foot seems to have been hemispherically ground...with a radius perhaps measured in feet, or meters! The signature is lightly etched an' filled with black, as are the 2 wavy lines above & below...an' contrary to most glass marks, is readily legible. Please do tell me what you see, an' think about this...an' thanks for lookin'!
    Merry Christmas to every one of you precious folks!

P1390895.jpeg P1390896.jpeg P1390898.jpeg P1390897.jpeg P1390900.jpeg P1390903.jpeg P1390899.jpeg P1390901.jpeg P1390902.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted