And again - real amber or faux??

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by IvaPan, May 20, 2023.

1. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Hi folks,
    Today I found this necklace and at first I thought faux amber, then after UV test I got doubts, and after examing it under magnification there are some black stains and dents. I am not accustomed to butterscotch amber so I can't decide now and need you help to identify, and also some indication of style and age, if possible. Thank you for looking and commenting!
    123456.jpg 123457.jpg 123459.jpg 123458.jpg

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Big bead looks ok, the cylinders not.

KSW and IvaPan like this.
  3. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, OBB! So only the big oval is genuine amber, the rest are faux. Thanks again!

KSW likes this.
  4. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

I post another UV picture with one of the cylinder beads better covered with UV light, it seems to me similar as reaction. I did not photo them under UV, my UV flash is small and gives quite focused light.

12345.jpg

KSW likes this.
  5. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

I did a photo of the flash focused on a cylinder bead, post below. Seems to glow, eh?
    12.jpg

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely North African necklace with copal beads. Google 'Moroccan copal bead' and you will see similar beads.
    Copal is a pre-stage of amber. Moroccan copal tends to fluoresce the same as amber.

The necklace looks Tuareg, although they usually don't use copal. Could be by one of their Amazigh neighbours (Berber, as are the Tuareg).

There is a test to tell the difference between copal and amber, but only if you really want to know and like taking risks.:nailbiting:;)
    Halfway down this page, under 'Drip It':
    https://www.igneoustheory.com/blogs/blog/amber-vs-copal-vs-plastic/

evelyb30, KSW, IvaPan and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Yup, copal, those further pictures are very handy.

Tuareg, oh, Rowan Atkinson again.

IvaPan and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Any! :kiss::kiss::kiss: I had some hope it is North African/Berber and copal but was not sure, so I am really grateful for your insights! It looks very pretty and I like it, and furthermore, this is the first copal item in my hoard. Yes, I read about copal but thought it was hard to find it here, all vintage genuine amber (copal is genuine although young) is Baltic for obvious reasons.
    Thank you again, very good news!
    Oh, no, thanks, I don't want to destroy it! I am sometimes really reckless but this necklace I like way too much to test in a destructive way. I also did not dear destroy the other one, remember, the funny nut-looking item which passed all amber tests but still I was not sure. Just put it aside for further inspection.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, OBB! :kiss:
    Why Rowan Atkinson? How is he related to Tuareg?
    Actually I am quite fascinated by their life and habits, of Berbers.

10. Ownedbybear

It’s very silly. He made a rather terrible tv commercial some years back which somehow involved Tuareg camp fires. It’s stuck in my brain!

IvaPan likes this.
  11. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, OBB, I see, some local British stuff.
    I am not a big fan of Atkinson, anyway.

12. Ownedbybear

Nor am I. He did do one thing which was excellent, Maigret.

IvaPan likes this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

‘Ah, smell those Tuareg campfires’
    That and ‘we are both fluent, Bob, sadly in different languages’ :hilarious:
    I’m not a great fan of RA but his sketch about the devil and people arriving in hell is brilliant.

Any Jewelry, IvaPan and Ownedbybear like this.
  14. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, British ladies! Unfortunately, I am not well acquainted with RA performances with the exception of the movie "Rat Race" (I was not impressed) and a sketch where he played a teacher reading names of his students from the class book (don't know exactly how you call it, the book with the names and numbers of pupils) with quite vulgar for my taste sexual connotations. Anyway, it is just my opinion, my son (a teenager at the time) who showed it to me, was fascinated.

Now as I said it, I think I recall a sketch of RA about the devil that my son showed to me, too. He is a big fan of British humour - "Black books", "Yes, Prime Minister", "Faulty Towers". He recites his favourite passages of these series. Actually, I like Black books, too:

How much are those books? Are they real leather?
    They are real Dickens!
    I want real leather to go with my sofa. I give you two hundred for them.
    Two hundred what?
    Two hundred pounds.
    Are they leather-bound pounds?
    No.
    Sorry, I want leather-bound pounds to go with my wallet.

Brilliant! :joyful::joyful::joyful:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted