Featured And a tale of lost and found

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ownedbybear, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

A few weeks back, I went to a little table top "fair" which I frequent. Bought this. Seller said, disparigingly, it wasn't gold. I think she's wrong.

Anyhow, I popped it in my handbag.

Got home. Could NOT find the damn thing. Tipped the whole bag out three times, concluded I'd lost it to my great annoyance.

Saturday, I decide to change handbags. I empty the old one. Other half searches it three times, in case i've left anything in it. Nada. I put it on my lap, sideways.

And out of nowhere, I swear, THIS MANIFESTS. I've long thought handbags were black holes to another dimension, now I'm convinced of it.

It is a Victorian albertina, by the way.

P1210235 small.JPG P1210236 small.JPG P1210237 small.JPG P1210238 small.JPG P1210239 small.JPG

2. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

That's really lovely. Sent me off to Google to find out what one was. And who is right about the material?

3. Ownedbybear

4. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Nice work.

bercrystal, KSW, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

So am I.

It is gorgeous, I love tassles of any kind, and this one has beautiful detail, also on the links.
    Yep!

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh! Oh! Oh! Purdy!

Debora

7. Ownedbybear

Isn't it fine? It will make a lovely pendant. Google shows quite a few with those star cut outs.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Every detail is perfect, it must have been on a fancy watch. But I'm sure you've got the right chain to wear it with.:)

9. Ownedbybear

Oh, I think I may have one or two.... ;)

mirana, bercrystal, KSW and 4 others like this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

That is so pretty! I would have picked it up just for that. So, a hole in your purse lining? Or possibly, you just thought you dropped it in your purse, but you missed and then the wily thing caught on something outside your purse, and presto!! Hiding in plain sight.

mirana, bercrystal, KSW and 3 others like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

It's weird, isn't it. I'm slightly surprised too: I've been to several car boot sales and the thing didn't get detached.

bercrystal, KSW, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  12. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

OBB, a beautiful piece indeed! Although I don't know what albertina is, I do like it a lot as a pendant.
    Same with me with purses! And usually it does not have any rational explanation, neither when the item disappears, nor when it reappears. Pure miracle!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    KSW, Any Jewelry, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  13. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

A double miracle! Buying it for "not gold":facepalm::joyful: and it's re appearance in your world, out of the black hole!
    A nice quality little " pompon" :woot:

mirana, Dessert58, bercrystal and 4 others like this.
  14. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Sweet score! Must be pretty heavy?
    Edit: for something that’s solid gold.

bercrystal, KSW, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  15. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

What a pretty thing. Could you check in your bag for that sweater I still can't find?

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

And my mom's car keys. Her main set went walkabout weeks ago.

I'm guessing that Albertina (watch fob for ladies?) is 1870-something?

mirana, kyratango, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ooh, that’s gorgeous! And even better that your gold twitcher didn’t let you down :)
    Handbag’s definitely are black holes, I lose things regularly! My OH calls it my skip :rolleyes:

mirana, Dessert58, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  18. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

Beautiful item! A couple of years ago I bought some gold heart dangle earrings at a yard sale for one dollar, nothing fancy but for the price I was pleased with myself. Well, by the time I got home I had lost them entirely. I was so irritated with myself! They were small and I figured they had fallen out a small hole in the bag or something since they were just tossed in with the rest of it when I checked out. A few months ago I moved and mentioned to a coworker I was leaving behind some furniture and she said, be sure to thoroughly check all the couch cushions for change. What do you know, there were the gold heart earrings under the couch cushions just as sweet as you please. A real head scratcher. But definitely the same ones they still had the one dollar price attached.

KSW, mirana, Dessert58 and 4 others like this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Then there are the jewelry pieces I've bought and put in a "safe place" - safe from ME that is. Took six months to find them.

mirana, Any Jewelry, KSW and 4 others like this.
  20. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Our black hole is the space between the car seat and the console. So much stuff goes down there that I'm sure it was manufactured with a vacuum some how. DH's old cell dropped in there and exited out to the floor in the back seat about 6 months later.

Many years ago my mom dropped her engagement ring into a furnace grate. They had a person from the furnace company come out and take apart the ducts but just never found the ring. Years later, they had whole house air conditioning installed and found the ring on the floor of the old unit. By that time the insurance company had replaced the ring. But the universe balanced itself once again when the ring was stolen from her room in assisted living. The ring was a wanderer, for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted