Ancient or fakecient? Bronze globular vessel

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by J Dagger, Mar 19, 2024.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Auction called it ancient. I’m not so sure. Could be. It’s kind of interesting. Was cast in two halves with not a lot of effort to disguise it. I don’t doubt it’s an ancient form, but it doesn’t necessarily scream massively old to me. Possible fire/ash staining? It has potential I guess but I’d like to hear others thoughts. About 5” high and 6” handle to handle. 85CB5637-8FD5-41B2-A8F8-154C27C16F51.jpeg E84300E1-18C9-46A8-B8FF-3028DD8EC0FC.jpeg D2A06267-39D8-484F-9454-5BE875CB414D.jpeg ECDAB22B-B6B6-43DF-BAA7-DE17CA40A022.jpeg

stracci, mmarco102 and Bronwen like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

3. J Dagger

Oh wow, yeh they look remarkably similar. Silly me didn’t try an image search. Thanks for that. I’ll have to try to look for a more solid source maybe. Since the dating seems to be pretty stretched out between those two. One says cooking one says drinking too. Thank you!

4. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Dag-When they called it ancient did they supply any kind of supporting data ?
    I guess 'ancient' for me would be defined as 'Ancient history covers all continents inhabited by humans in the period 3000 BC – AD 750',but to be generous & include things most of us mortal might find-why not toss in 1200 to 1300.
    The only way I'd be certain is to go the university research/scientific route or (somehow) pinch a few moments of a unimpeachable renowned world experts time.
    PS-I've prob watched way too many Time Teams,Fake or Fortune & Nova episodes ! *** Sorry to be so windy.

6. J Dagger

Haha! No they didn’t. Last time I bought something they called “a lot of ancient items” I got a likely 1600’s mortar, sans pestle, likely Italian. I’m addition was an 18th or 19th century brass stirrup, a likely early 20th century sculptural piece, and something else that was probably 20th c also. So they are veryyyyyy loose with that term. I only bought this because it went cheap relatively speaking and was accompanied by a nice enough 19th/20th copper alloy vessel. Was well worth taking a chance. Not even taking a chance actually. I’ll multiply my money a few times at the very least no matter what this is. I didn’t need it to be ancient, it was just a fun “maybe it is” thing.

7. J Dagger

8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

It's a cool piece & you didn't spend museum level money on it-enjoy.