Ancient or Antique stone figure?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hunt2, Feb 29, 2024.

1. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, i have gambled and bought this stone figure hoping it was something interesting. And it was a gamble because the photoś of the seller where terrible and unsharp.

The figure is made out of an unknown type of stone and measures 11,5 x 5,5 x 4,5 cm. It is a woman holding a child.

The seller claimed it was pre-columbian or inca??

My question for this statue is: Where does it originate from and how old is it? 12.jpg 10.jpg IMG_20240229_140510730_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Please post a straight on view of the face.

3. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

IMG_20240229_140404892.jpg

komokwa and 2manybooks like this.
  4. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  5. 2manybooks

Buying "precolumbian" objects is almost always problematic. Without accurate provenance/provenience (where it was found), it is usually not possible to be certain about an identification. Stone cannot be directly dated, and style can be copied (with more or less skill). Enterprising artisans have been copying and recreating artifacts in Mexico, Central America and the Andes since the late 19th century.

Stylistically, I think your figure probably comes from Mexico rather than the Andes. A few features resemble stone Mezcala figures from the State of Guerrero, but those are typically more abstract. The eyes on your figure are more detailed.

Granted, not all figures were carved by the finest artists, but there are definitely some issues with your piece. She has a left shoulder, but no room was left for a shoulder on her right - just a flat surface.

In several places I see marks that look like metal file marks. Precolumbian artisans did not have metal files - surfaces were carefully smoothed and polished by using abrasives. A careful analysis of the tool marks might also be able to determine if the stone was worked before or after it became worn and pitted. I suspect the latter is the case, the stone having been selected because it would "look old."

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

Oke thanks for the explanation.

2manybooks likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would be cautious about buying something from a seller who claims either "pre-columbian" or "Inca."

Debora

2manybooks likes this.
  8. 2manybooks

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted